Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS 10.4 can not recognize Mac OS 10.6 disc partitions

Hi,

I am in a big problem, I already post it Western DIgital Comunity forum but I still not get a good answer from the forum or from WD support.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Other-Internal-Drives/WD7500BPKT-is-not-recognized-b y-MacOs-10-4/td-p/266338

Western DIgital state that 10.4 disk utility is compatible with the Advance Format and will format the disc.

I get a Wester DIgital WD7500BPK to make a triple boot disc on my MacBook Pro (MacOS 10.4, MAcOS 10.6 and other Linux distro).

MacBookPro2,2

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz

WDC WD7500BPKT-00PK4T0

Revision: 01.01A01

I sucessufull partition the disc with 10.6 and install SL but after booting from MacOS 10.4 original DVD, Disk Utility can´t see correctly the partitions created by MacOS 10.6

I already try to make just one partition with macos 10.6 and boot and try partition the disk with MacOS 10.4 but the disk utility is detecting a disc with 5.5.TB and it´s capacity is 750 Gb.

If I try to partions I get a input/output error.

I also try to boot from a MacOs 10.4.8 from a external drive and I get the same issue with Disk Utility.

Terminal diskutil give me the partitions that you can see in the image.

User uploaded file

I will apreciate if anybody can give me some tips to partition this disc and be correctly recognized by MacOS 10.4 Disk Utility.

Thanks in advance,

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 2:24 AM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2011 9:55 AM in response to macweb

Hmmm, all the HDD manufacturers say Tiger/10.4 does support Advanced Format technology, but it sure looks like your Tiger/10.4 is confused about the 512 vs. 4096 byte size sectors.

But perhaps this is only a function in Tiger updated to 10.4.11 ?

The combo update for Intel-based Macs...

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411comboupdateintel.html

Repair Permissions afterwords, reboot.

Oct 9, 2011 9:38 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi, BDAqua,

I was trying with 10.4.10 and this version still didn´t recognize the disc but after updating to MacOS 10.4.11 the system start to recognize correctly the disc.

I have to say that from MacOS 10.4 till 10.4.10 the disc was not correcty recognize.

In other words it was not possible to install directly from the system DVDs, unfortunatly the soluion will envolve other disc.

We need to install system and update till MacOS 10.4.11 in an external disc and then use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to clone the system into the internal disc.

I hope that this post will help other´s with the same issue.

Thanks for your tip but now I am getting Airport issues with this version but that´s other story....

Mac OS 10.4 can not recognize Mac OS 10.6 disc partitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.