Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

collecting points

whats the point of collecting points????

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 11:17 AM

The answer depends on the motivation of the individual. Some may feel reinforced that they offer good advice; in rare cases, they might even be invited to Apple events - presuming they're above a certain point threshold. I think the issue of points is secondary for many; they take pride at providing good information to users who might otherwise be without support.

I can't tell you how many times people with high point totals have answered questions that no one else could.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2011 11:17 AM in response to Souad H

The answer depends on the motivation of the individual. Some may feel reinforced that they offer good advice; in rare cases, they might even be invited to Apple events - presuming they're above a certain point threshold. I think the issue of points is secondary for many; they take pride at providing good information to users who might otherwise be without support.

I can't tell you how many times people with high point totals have answered questions that no one else could.

Oct 8, 2011 11:55 AM in response to Souad H

The truth?

About nothing really, you get a T-shirt and access to the less moderated Lounge at Level 6, and you get invited to meet and greet the folks who run the forums and stuff when they run one close to your area.

Supposedly one gets more stuff at higher point levels, but I haven't heard of anyone getting anything, perhaps they are under a NDA and thus can't talk about it.

I've been doing this on and off for many years, had access to the Lounge back on the old system where getting to Level 4 took a very long time and it was a struggle, guess keeps me busy when I can't be up on my messed up ankle. Some have been here forever.

No compensation, I suspect some of the folks here also work at Apple, want too or have in the past, they get to work with people and special cases that show up, like malware and the like.

Guess it's good training in solving people's Mac issues and becoming more knowledgeable, contribute and learn, points just show how many correct and helpful's, I don't think the system is functioning well or as intended, or people are simply not bothering to mark much, I suspect some folks are not bothering to log in to see their responses or can't locate their posts or something.

Nov 29, 2011 8:52 AM in response to Fbraga

Obtaining any given level does not automatically bring with it any tangible rewards. Those who have obtained higher levels have on rare occasions been given small items such as a t-shirt, but it's not a standard part of the program by any means. If you wish to participate here, do so because you wish to help out your fellow users (and learn more in the process; helping others is a great way to learn new things yourself), not for any hope of getting any goodies.

Regards.

collecting points

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.