Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't play hd movie on my hdcp compliant monitor using the digital av adapter

Hi all,

I just purchased the digital AV adapter to go with my iPad 2. I went to play an HD movie I downloaded from iTunes, but got the infamous "The connected display is not authorized to play protected movies" message. Here's the thing: my display *is* HDCP compatible. I have an hp 2311x monitor, which I purchased earlier this year, in Feb. I double checked the specs for the monitor on the hp site and it says it is HDCP compatible when using HDMI or DVI. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Is there a setting on my iPad or monitor that I can change? To recap, my connection is:

iPad 2 -> Apple Digital AV Adapter -> HDMI cable -> hp 2311x monitor

Thanks for your help!

iPad 2

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 4:39 PM

Ccap83-

I suggest you report the problem to Apple at <iPad Feedback>.

Fred

7 replies

Feb 14, 2012 1:58 PM in response to ccap83

Same exact issue with my new HP 2311x and 2011 MacBook Air (13"). The apple mini display port to DVI generated the error, as did ($30 later) the mini display port to HDMI. Monitor documentation (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/382087-382087-3284302-215012-21501 2-3770740-5034316.html?dnr=1) says its DVI-D and HDMI compliant with HDCP. Anyone know what's going on here?

Feb 15, 2012 2:30 AM in response to Uninvited

Right, riddle me this:

My current setup is a mid-2011 MacBook Air 13" (Core i7, 4 gb RAM, 256 gb ssd) running the latest versions of Lion and Itunes. I am using both Apple's Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter and Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to connect to my new HP 2311x monitor (DVI-D and HDMI ports on the back, all "HDCP Compliant" per the documentation). Whether I connect the Air via DVI or HDMI, I get the HDCP error when trying to play HD itunes media on the HP monitor (the inbuilt screen, of course, displays without hassle).

My alternate computer is a three-year old base-model Dell Studio Hybrid 140g (4 gb RAM, 160 mb hdd, Intel GMA X3100 graphics, Core2Duo T6500 processor), running windows 7 home premium. Whether I connect the Studio via DVI or HDMI (without the DisplayPort adapter, obviously), the HD media plays fine through Itunes without any HDCP error.

So the error appears not to be directly in the HP 2311x, nor in the DVI or HMDI cables. Could the fault be in the Air or DisplayPort Adapter? More likely, per the above posts, could it be in neither pieces of hardware directly, but in the way they are interacting? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can't play hd movie on my hdcp compliant monitor using the digital av adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.