Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iTunes Match send my personal recordings in the cloud?

I'm very interesting in iTunes Match. However, as a music producer, I'm concerned about my recording material currently sitting in iTunes. How do I protect them from being sucked into the cloud for every one else to access? Will there be privacy features that rectifity this concern?

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 8:41 AM

3 replies

Oct 9, 2011 9:20 AM in response to Jay Blongz

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

"If you want the benefits of iTunes in the Cloud for music you haven’t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution. It’s built right into the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and the Music app on your iOS devices. And it lets you store your entire collection, including music you’ve imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. For just $24.99 a year.2

Here’s how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library. Since there are more than 20 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes can’t match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream and store it on any of your devices. Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality."

We don't work for Apple so all we know is what we read off their pages, or from our own experience of a service (and since this is still in beta, nobody should be passing on any first-hand experience in violation of non-disclosure). From the looks of it any music you have that they don't have you will have to proactively upload to their site in order for it to be available. Then too, any music you upload is only available to you; it is not a file sharing service! So if you have a 128k MP3 that they have, even if you didn't buy it from them, they will match it with a 256k AAC file. If you have a 128k file they don't have, presumably it would be stored as the original. Either way only you have access to whatever is on your cloud account. The is what I interpret from reading the above link.

Oct 9, 2011 11:31 AM in response to Jay Blongz

Jay Blongz wrote:

I'm very interesting in iTunes Match. However, as a music producer, I'm concerned about my recording material currently sitting in iTunes. How do I protect them from being sucked into the cloud for every one else to access? Will there be privacy features that rectifity this concern?

Anything that gets "sucked into the cloud" will only be accessible by you. Your items are not going to be available to everyone/anyone else.

Will iTunes Match send my personal recordings in the cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.