Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to print part of a message in Mail 5.0

In Entourage I could select the part of a message to be printed, so saving ink and paper. I can't find a way to do that in Mail 5.0. Any ideas please?

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 5:49 PM

Select the part, copy it, paste it into TextEdit, and print. Much cleaner and easier way. If there's a way to do it in Mail, you'll have to wait for someone who uses it; I don't, I use Eudora.

10 replies

Oct 10, 2011 2:47 AM in response to baltwo

Thanks. However, while this works, it does not include the email header, from, to etc. which I need. I can create a PDF of the whole message (only) via Print in Mail, but am prevented from deleting the unwanted part. If I copy the message header, from, to etc. and paste into Word, then go back to copy the wanted part of the message text and paste that into the word doc., I can get what I want, but what a palaver!

I am sorry that this is not a feature of Mail, but perhaps I am the only one to need it.

Oct 10, 2011 2:53 AM in response to Atomic Al

Atomic Al wrote:

Whenever you select the text in Mail, Control-Click and choose New TextEdit Window Containing Selection and print from TextEdit.

I don't follow this part of your reply. After selecting the text in Mail:

A) where do I do the Control-Click, and:

B) where does "Choose New Text Edit Window Containing selection" appear, or what do I need to do to get it to appear?

I have tried variouse clickings but no joy.(I have already selected the tick box in Preferences which relates to those same words.)

Oct 10, 2011 11:18 AM in response to Atomic Al

Better would be to send an enhancement request directly to engineering. To send a bug report or an enhancement request to Apple's engineers via its Bug Reporter system, register as an Apple Developer—it's free and available for all Mac users and gets you a look at some development software. Since you already have an Apple username/ID, use that. Once a member, go to Apple BugReporter and file your bug report or enhancement request. You'll get a response and a follow-up number; thus, starting a dialog with engineering.

Jan 1, 2013 5:49 PM in response to SteveKir

this thread is old.. but still active?

my suggested work-around is to highlight the bit you wish to print. while highlighted, press command-R to "reply." the resulting "reply" will contain only the portion you've hightlighted + header. continue to print as normal.

now, what I'M trying to figure out ought to be simple, but i can't find it. i would like to change print setting to print at a larger font. this must exist, yes? where?

thanks.

How to print part of a message in Mail 5.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.