Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing "Application Support" folder in home library (OS 10.6)

So about 6 months ago my old Macbook (from 2006, running OS 10.5.8) finally bit the dust for the last time with a fried logic board. However, this time the hard drive was perfectly functional, so I rescued it from the laptop before trading in the rest of the parts to get a discount on a new Macbook Pro (running OS 10.6.8).

Because the hard drive is still functional, I'm using a hard drive reader to transfer over all my files and information to the new laptop. Everything is there on the old drive, except one key component. I'm missing the "Application Support" folder from my home library (~/Library), which contains a lot of important settings for several applications I use (such as Firefox, an MSN messenger clone I use, etc). I've tried connecting the hard drive reader several times, and each time that folder is missing when I open up the home folder Library.

This folder was clearly there and functioning when the hard drive was still in my old computer. So my question is, where did it go? Is there any way of accessing it with the hard drive reader? Is it gone because of some kind of corruption, and why is it just that folder in particular that's missing? Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated, since the missing settings contained information that will be very difficult, if not impossible to replace.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), accessing drive via HD reader

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 9:26 PM

It sure sounds like corruption to me. I don't know the limitations of the disk reader, but if this were an external drive mounted in a more or less normal way I'd try (first) seeing if I could access the folder through unix which is a bit less sensitive to HFS corruption issues than higher-level OS, and (second) trying some disk recovery software. The latter might not get everything, but if it is simple directory corruption it might get most of your stuff: directory corruption generally does not impact on file contents.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2011 9:26 PM in response to MirandaV

It sure sounds like corruption to me. I don't know the limitations of the disk reader, but if this were an external drive mounted in a more or less normal way I'd try (first) seeing if I could access the folder through unix which is a bit less sensitive to HFS corruption issues than higher-level OS, and (second) trying some disk recovery software. The latter might not get everything, but if it is simple directory corruption it might get most of your stuff: directory corruption generally does not impact on file contents.

Oct 11, 2011 7:46 AM in response to MirandaV

Disk Utility will do a verify/repair of an external disk. Though the chances of this being disk corruption is imo slim. For only one subfolder of of one folder to get clobbered due to a hardware failure while possible is extremely remote.

Try the Disk Utility repair function if the directory is collbered that should recover it (or at least let you know that there is an issue with the drive).

good luck

Missing "Application Support" folder in home library (OS 10.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.