Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add Picture Overlay iMovie 2011?

I have the most recent version of iMovie, and I want to overlay a picture on the video. How can I do this?

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 11:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 1:10 AM

in the Project Settings, switch-on the advanced tools

drag pic onto video

choose 'picture in picture'

(don't hesitate to make use of iM's built-in HELP feature .... )

12 replies

Jan 7, 2014 9:35 PM in response to nick baccante

You can do a cutaway of a photo in iMovie 10.0.1, it's just a different process. While you're in your movie project, click the Import button, browse to the photo, import it. Then drag the photo to the bottom timeline. It will do the cutaway just like the old versions of iMovie.

The new process ***** but it is what it is. I use the photo cutaway from time to time and it was super easy to do it before, I would drag and drop from outside the program into the spot in iMovie. It used to be wonderful!

Apr 11, 2014 10:48 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Still trying to put a still picture over the top of a video clip....I turned on the advanced tools in preferences, but when I drag the photo over the video clip, the picture in picture option doesnt show up.....either does the cut away option. The picture simply snaps to the end of the clip.....?? I read the tutorial, but the app isnt responding like the directions suggest it should. Any ideas?

How to add Picture Overlay iMovie 2011?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.