Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After new HD install, can't reboot, help!!

PowerBook G4 12"

Old HD (80gb) died, so I have installed a new 160gb

I have inserted the originonal disc but nothing now happens!

The screen is black, but I can hear the HD

How do I reboot/format??

Can anybody help me please

powerbook, Mac OS X (10.4.4), 256mb 80gb

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 9:35 AM

You say you have inserted the disc but have you actually tried to boot from it - startup while holding the "C" key?

Nothing will happen if you don't. Assuming the computer starts up from the install CD/DVD you can then proceed with fornatting and installing the OS. Apologies if I've misunderstood you and your problem is actually that you can't boot in the first place but we have to start with the most obvious!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2011 9:35 AM in response to redroar

You say you have inserted the disc but have you actually tried to boot from it - startup while holding the "C" key?

Nothing will happen if you don't. Assuming the computer starts up from the install CD/DVD you can then proceed with fornatting and installing the OS. Apologies if I've misunderstood you and your problem is actually that you can't boot in the first place but we have to start with the most obvious!

Oct 10, 2011 3:37 PM in response to redroar

Instead of holding the "C" key down, have you rebooted holding the alt key down? You should then be able to choose which volume to boot from. Also, if that disk is also the one that has the Apple hardware test on it, you may have the option to run that, which I would do ... choose the extended test before running it.

After new HD install, can't reboot, help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.