Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External mic on iPhone headset not detected in Win7 with MBA

I have a 2010 MacBook Air running Boot Camp and Windows 7.

I know the MBA supports audio-in (microphone) using an iPhone compatible headset, as it works perfectly when booting in OS X. Under OS X, as soon as I plug in the headset, the audio switcher detects the mic and switches to using the external mic.

On Windows 7, I could have sworn this used to work, but recently noticed that after plugging in the headset, the internal mic is still being used, and it never switches to using the external mic. I can't find any way to manually force it to use the external mic either. Seems like a driver issue... anyone experience the same and figure out a workaround?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 12:10 PM

23 replies

Jul 13, 2012 7:39 AM in response to jeremy-ca

After you install Windows Support Software, aka Apple drivers, you still need to install the audio chipset drivers from Cirrus or whoever now makes the chip. Try that. At least that has always been true in the past.

Use to be true to get graphic driver - proper one that would work and allow games to play fully though maybe the Apple Nvidia 650M driver is okay on 2012 MBAs.

Jul 18, 2012 7:25 AM in response to jeremy-ca

I called Apple who, very unhelpfully, said that our only recourse was to contact Microsoft's "Microsoft for Mac" support on 866 474 4882 for a driver. Apple procured this sound chip from Cirrus - why would Microsoft be responsible for providing a driver?

The tech also said that Apple doesn't monitor these forums and that the only way to register demand for a driver is to submit to apple.com/feedback

Jul 18, 2012 5:56 PM in response to jeremy-ca

You guys are expecting a lot, to be able to use the iPhone's internal microphone on a Mac is a feature that I would never expect from another company. This requires very complicated driver sets. You wont find this option available on Microsoft products, such as using a Windows Phone for the external mic under the Windows Operating System, that is simply not an option. We are fortunate that Apple provides ANY support for Windows, as they have no obligation to do so. If this is a feature that you need, you'll have to continue using it under OS X or Paralells as the OS X simply uses the driver and shows it to windows as a normal plugged in microphone.

Your only other option is to purchase a basic external microphone, which can be had for less than $10 at your local electronics shop. Additionally, have you even tried the internal mic that is in most of your computers? On my 2011 iMac the internal mic provides better sound quality than an external mic that I have.

Jul 18, 2012 6:25 PM in response to RavrSimba

RavrSimba : That is NOT what we are trying to do.

We are trying to use a headset that would work with an iPhone, as in a 2.5mm 3 lead connector headset with stereo audio and microphone, connected to a Macbook Air.

On OSx the audio driver detects the connector and knows it can use an external mic, so it switches off the internal mic. In windows, it refuses to switch over to use the external mic.

The only workaround is to use Parallels or another virtualization software and run Windows inside OSx. In this case the OSx driver will make the switch and the external headset with microphone will work properly.

For example, specifically, I want to use the Bose MIE2i headset with my Macbook Air to talk on Skype. It works perfectly in OSx but not in Windows. Luckily the internal microphone is fantastic.

External mic on iPhone headset not detected in Win7 with MBA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.