Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not showing Sidebar Items

The Sidebar isn't working. It says Favorites (Nothing being shown) and Devices (Everything shows up). I can go into the prefs and hide and show the devices and it updates as I toggle what to show. But I can't turn on/off anything in Favorites or Shared. Its like Finder doesn't want me to see my Favorites. I've already repaired permissions and the disk. But still nothing. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on?

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 2:49 PM

Try mousing over the area to the right of Favorites, there should be an "show/hide" button.

20 replies

Jul 2, 2012 6:35 PM in response to josuefromsaint cloud

Suddenly today I am having exactly the same problem. MacBook. OSX 10.5.8. I tried trashing the plist file, which by the way only shows up in my User Library, in other words not on my hard disk library. I thought this was odd, but I checked another Mac I have and this file is only in the user library.

I don't know where this favorite thing or show/hide is either. It's really bugging me.

Feb 4, 2013 9:42 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn,

I also have a sidebar problem. Although I have checked the relevant items in Preferences my attached hard drives do not show up. Also my Livedrive Cloud backup (Expensive!) does not show. Can you advise me. I have no idea how to delete the .plist file if that is the problem! I am running an iMac on Lion 10.7.5.

Yours in anticipation Dumbo!!

Aug 3, 2013 7:21 PM in response to JustNewListings

Easy solution! When in the Finder, go to the Menu Bar and click on Go. You will not see Library there. Now let go, and this time hold down the Option key while selecting Go. Voilà! There's the Library!

Apple decided that they needed to protect us from ourselves I guess. I recommend holding down the option key and clicking on all kinds of things - it reveals all kinds of fun. For example, hold down option and select the sound volume indicator in the menubar, and instead of just showing the volume slider, you get controls to change the input and output devices.

enjoy!

Allison Sheridan

NosillaCast Podcast

Sep 18, 2013 12:20 PM in response to chapmadw

@chapmadw, This is actually the answer and the most easiest solution. Reading through the form I found that everybody was overthinking the situation, and not sticking with the basics first I read through and did not want to try any of those things because I knew that there was no need if I did not change any settings previously. Your solution should be at the top of this page. Cheers!!

Finder not showing Sidebar Items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.