Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Replacement for Widespread issue

Whats up guys,

My iPhone 4 has this exact same problem as a lot of people, no one can hear me during calls. I smacked the phone around just a bit and after a couple hits it works, but only for a minute or two, then it goes back to the mic not working.

I tried cleaning it and everything like you all did, still no luck.

My apple warranty has expired, I wanted to ask all of you that If I take it to apple, and the tech screens the phone, and he/she finally comes to the point of replacing it, will I have to pay for it?

I find this widespread problem ridiculous to say the least as this spontaneously just started happening.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3, Kept in very very good condition

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 5:25 PM

8 replies

Oct 10, 2011 6:18 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I meant it more so that a lot of people have been having this problem. It's weird because voice recording, video recording, and the like, pick up audio perfectly fine. It's only during calls that the mic becomes completely dormant.

I understand that since in calls there as an addition of the noise-cancelling microphone being put to use, and that is probably whats throwing it into inactivity.

I hope someone who has gone through this process without a warranty can tell me whether they had to pay for it or not.

Nov 4, 2011 11:57 AM in response to DjBoony

This does appear to be a widespread issue - just google and see. It seems like its a hardware problem, but not the microphone itself. I too have the same issue, just out of warranty. Took it to the Genius Bar, tried a firmware reset - no luck. Want to now charge me £119 for a replacement.... Not happy...

Symptoms are can't hear, or be heard during a standard call, or over speakerphone, or using headphones/mic. However, can record voice memos, use FaceTime and Skype calls.

Just looking for a Customer Services number now (the reason I'm on here) to log a complaint. If this is a known issue Apple should replace the affected handsets irrespective of warranty status.

Mike

Nov 4, 2011 2:31 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence,

Your math is off. Apple didn't sell 120 million iphone 4s. By now they probably sold around 4-6 million.

But those 200 posters don't represent the whole population of iphone 4s owners, since many of those who have the issue never visit apple forums.

To make a better calculation get the number of people who visit apple forums REGULARLY, from that number, subtract people who don't own iphone 4s. ONLY then divide that number by 200 posters. That would give you a more accurate estimate.

P.S: The issue does seem to be widespread.

Probability and statistics major.

Nov 4, 2011 2:37 PM in response to smart_guy

If you really want to talk about statistics tell me the statistical significance of visiting a hospital, counting the number of sick people, and then reaching a conclusion about the incidence of sickness in the general population - without examining the general population. This forum is a hospital; most of the people here have sick devices, except for the professionals and volunteers providing "medical" care.

This thread is not about the 4S, anyway; it is about phones that are out of warranty (and so is the 22 page thread), meaning phones more than a year (or two with AppleCare) old. No 4S is out of warranty. If the phone is in warranty and has a hardware problem Apple will replace it. The number of iOS devices sold BEFORE the 4S came out is still 120 million.

Nov 4, 2011 2:44 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

If given the number I will gladly calculate if it was required so by my JOB. But I am not willing to write a 12 page post here just to prove a point to a stranger.

If you read my post I said:

"To make a better calculation get the number of people who visit apple forums REGULARLY"

So, NO , for that population apple forums won't be a hospital.

To the OP: Sorry I thought you were talking about 4s not 4.

iPhone Replacement for Widespread issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.