Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I “Change Password” without unlocking the System Preference pane

I have always operated Apple computers with the “Require a password to unlock each System Preferences pane” setting enabled. I have continued this practice under Snow Leopard. Recently, I just discovered something I had not noticed before.

If I change the settings on the “Energy Saver” pane, I need to click the lock in the bottom left-hand corner and enter my password to change the settings. However, when I change my password, by way of the “Accounts” preference pane, I can change my password merely by clicking the “Change Password” button without clicking the lock in the bottom left corner.

Has the OS always operated this way?

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 6:21 PM

2 replies

Oct 10, 2011 9:58 PM in response to d.sprinter

Perhaps, it is because you did not click the "lock" button the last time you changed something in System Preferences. If I am not wrong, before OS X version 10.6.6, the operating system would just remember if you locked the System Preferences. However, in my opinion, you should bring your MacBook to your Apple Store and get this problem solved.

Why can I “Change Password” without unlocking the System Preference pane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.