Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After a Lion upgrade, my 2009 MBP's backlit keyboard does not function.

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro 13in unibody that is having this issue in Lion. I have reset the PRAM and SMC numous times, and neither has any effect. The system seemingly does not even detect that a backlit keyboard is installed: there are no options in the keyboard preference pane that pertain to keyboard backlighting. The only way to actually get it to turn on is through Labtick, which does work without issue.

I installed a fresh install of Snow Leopard and found that the keyboard backlight is detected and fully functional (keys work, can adjust preferences, etc). Upon upgrading to Lion via my extracted ESD image, the backlight once again did not work. I am grateful for any and all suggestions as to why Lion is having problems with my keyboard.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 10:48 PM

Hraedon wrote:

The system seemingly does not even detect that a backlit keyboard is installed: there are no options in the keyboard preference pane that pertain to keyboard backlighting.

Just to confirm, you don't have this then, right?

User uploaded file

15 replies

Oct 11, 2011 8:36 AM in response to Hraedon

You could try deleting this file; it's harmless, save that any system preferences you've set across the OS will return to default:

1. In Finder, click the 'Go' menu and hold down the option key.

2. Choose 'Library' (you must have the option key held down)

3. Navigate to 'Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist

4. Drag it to Trash

5. Restart Lion

What happens now is that Lion will recreate this property list file to default settings. That may nor may not solve your problem, but its the first step to do before looking elsewhere.

Oct 28, 2011 3:22 AM in response to Hraedon

I have exactly the same problem. Mid 2009 MBP, fine under Leopard, installed OS X and the Keyboard menu changed and I lost the menu option as per the screenshot. Tried resetting the SMC but no result.

Thanks for the Labtick suggestion. Just installed it and it works fine. Can't understand why a simple fix hasn't been included yet in an OS update, especially as new MacBook Airs are shipping with backlit keyboards and it's one of the main advertising points.

Feb 4, 2016 11:50 AM in response to softwater

Word to the wise:

Yes I have this problem a long time...through many upgrades.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010), now on Yosemite 10.1.1

Just tried solution offered by Softwater (deleting "plist" file).

Two things:

1: Now called "com.apple.systemprefs.plist" instead of com.apple.systempreferences".plist"

2: when I tried dragging to trash as above I got error message #41 (i think) -- file not found.

I learned UNIX before any other OS, so only attempt this unless you really know what you are doing. Enable admin user if not already.

Use Terminal to get to the file and remove it:

cd /Volumes/MacIntosh\ HD/Library

Did not work for me anyway :-(

Will have to try that Labtick software

thanks

After a Lion upgrade, my 2009 MBP's backlit keyboard does not function.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.