Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Most cost effective way to upgrade my '06 Intel MacBook from OS X 10.4.11?

I have an '06 Intel Macbook (2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 667 HHz Bus, 4Gb Ram, 80Gb HD) that I'm looking to upgrade the OS from OS X 10.4.11 to what ever I can given the limitations of the internal components. Trying to find out what the most cost effective way is to do that and to what level of OS. Your help and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 12:39 PM

You can bring that MacBook up to Mac OS X version 10.6.8 Snow Leopard - Lion is out because it requires an Intel Core 2 Duo or higher processor. Snow Leopard can be purchased from the online Apple store for $29.

Be sure to check first making sure all of the applications you need to use are supported (by the companies that make them) under SL.

Before you update I recommend making a complete clone backup of your hard drive to an external drive. This is just in case anything goes wrong. Not saying it'll happen but better safe than sorry. Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner is an excellent tool for doing this. If you do not have an external drive, now is the time to get one. It will prove useful later when you use SL's Time Machine (the link goes to Lion's TM page but it is essentially the same.)

Best of luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2011 12:39 PM in response to count_de_money

You can bring that MacBook up to Mac OS X version 10.6.8 Snow Leopard - Lion is out because it requires an Intel Core 2 Duo or higher processor. Snow Leopard can be purchased from the online Apple store for $29.

Be sure to check first making sure all of the applications you need to use are supported (by the companies that make them) under SL.

Before you update I recommend making a complete clone backup of your hard drive to an external drive. This is just in case anything goes wrong. Not saying it'll happen but better safe than sorry. Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner is an excellent tool for doing this. If you do not have an external drive, now is the time to get one. It will prove useful later when you use SL's Time Machine (the link goes to Lion's TM page but it is essentially the same.)

Best of luck.

Oct 11, 2011 2:14 PM in response to count_de_money

You can upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6 with no problems. Any program that runs under 10.4 will run under10.6 but you might have to upgrade some drivers for printers, etc.... I recently upgraded an older MacBook (model 1,1) from 10.4 to 10.6.

You can order a Snow Leopard 10.6 install disk for $29 as long as you have at least 1gb of RAM and 5gb of free space on your hard drive. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

A 10.5 Leopard disk will run you over $100

Most cost effective way to upgrade my '06 Intel MacBook from OS X 10.4.11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.