8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2011 10:22 AM by DLH2
DLH2 Level 1 Level 1

I often have a list of documents in a folder I need to print.  Right now I open a Finder window, highlight all documents and go up to the menu bar and select Print.  Because I'm working on a dual monitor system (13" MB with a 27" Cinema display) it's a pain to highlight documents in Finder than move mouse up to 27" Menu and select File -> Print.  I'd like to add a Print icon to the Finder window itself but I don't see that option (I click Customize Toolbar but there isn't a drag/drop icon for Print which seems strange).  Question: How do I add a Print icon to my Finder toolbar?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)
Solved by cranfordio on Oct 11, 2011 9:34 AM Solved

You could write an AppleScript and save it as an application then drag the application to the toolbar. This script seems to work:

tell application "Finder"

print selection

end tell

• cranfordio Level 1 Level 1

I don't know if you can add an icon but you could always just press Command-P.

• DLH2 Level 1 Level 1

Thanks for your help.  I thought of that but (although it sounds strange) that requires both hands on the keyboard.  if I'm using my mouse to select documents it is a lot faster for me to just click a button with the mouse rather than moving from mouse back to keyboard and then pressing key combination.  Knowing Apple I'm sure there's a way to get that icon onto a window but just haven't figured a workaround just yet.

• John Blanchard1 Level 5 Level 5

Depending on what kind of documents they are, you could create a desktop printer in Print & Scan Prefs and drag the documents to the printer. You could also look at the scripts in /Library/Scripts/Printing Scripts.

Hope this helps.

• cranfordio Level 1 Level 1

You could write an AppleScript and save it as an application then drag the application to the toolbar. This script seems to work:

tell application "Finder"

print selection

end tell

• DLH2 Level 1 Level 1

This is a terrific idea.  Haven't written an AppleScript before but about time I do.  I'll try this and will report back. thanks so much!

• John Blanchard1 Level 5 Level 5

Or use the AppleScripts already written in /Library/Scripts/Printing Scripts.

• DLH2 Level 1 Level 1

cranfordio: This is perfect - works perfectly and I thought I could only drag the newly-created Print.app to the sidebar, but i can actually drag it to the menu bar as a Print icon.  Again, thanks so much! 

• DLH2 Level 1 Level 1

John: I looked there but the scripts look much more complicated.  the simple script shown worked easily.  However, i'll have to take a look at the other Library of scripts - there may be many other functions I use daily that can be simplified by using one of these scripts already generated.  thanks!