Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocking (orange uk) iPhone from abroad.

Hello,

I got an iPhone 4 from an uncle of mine that returned from UK. He couldn't use it in Portugal so I gladly took it 🙂

Now I'm in The Netherlands and I'm trying to unlock it tu use it as a phone. Unfortunately I cannot contact Orange in anyway or even find out how to unlock the phone without being a (long term) costumer.

Does anybody know how to do it?

Regards,

Adriano

iPhone 4, iOS 4, locked to Orange UK

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 8:33 AM

9 replies

Oct 11, 2011 9:43 AM in response to adrianomartins

You will not be able to have the phone unlocked unless you are a customer. Your uncle may be able to have them unlock it depending on whether he was pay as you go or monthly and assuming his account was/is paid in full.

From the Orange site:

All Orange phones are locked so that they can only be used on the Orange network.

You can have any handset unlocked to use on any compatible network. Once a handset has been unlocked it can be used with an Orange SIM and/or any other compatible network SIM.

pay as you go

In order to have your phone unlocked:

• The IMEI must not be blacklisted (customer services will check this for you).
  • The phone needs to be active, you can't unlock an old pay as you go phone that's no longer on an active account.
  • The handset to be unlocked must have been registered to Orange pay as you go for a minimum of three months.

pay monthlyIn order to have your phone unlocked:

• You must be a current or previous Orange customer.
  • The handset to be unlocked must have been registered to Orange for a minimum of three months.
  • The IMEI must not be blacklisted (customer services will check this for you).
  • Your account balance must be zero; everything needs to be paid up to date.

Oct 11, 2011 9:51 AM in response to KiltedTim

Ok,

so, basicly and can only do the following:

1. go to my uncle and ask whatever business he had with Orange and take is credentials or documents in oder to unlock the phone (not likely to happen, I'm not that close to my uncle to ask him for that :\)
  2. somehow be a costumer of Orange during 3 months with this iPhone (would this work?), which is a very very long way...

I guess I'd better continue with my "fancy iPod", this case seems lost.

Thank you all 😉

Unlocking (orange uk) iPhone from abroad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.