Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing Maps (dividing and to scale)?

Hi All.

I am looking to print out a road bike map for an area outside of my town and I have a scan of a highly detailed print map. This is finely detailed but too small and I would like to print out some of the areas at a larger size so I can take them with me. Also, the print map goes to other pages at inconvenient points so I have "stitched them together" at the seams in the digital version.

I would like to take /sections/ of this scan so that I can print them on 8 1/2 x 11 inch waterproof paper and I am having a couple issues.

1. I would like to subdivide some of the areas to 8 1/2 x 11 (or in this case to some smaller but /proportionally/ similar size so that I can blow it up to 8 1/2 x 11). Is there software that will let me create a kind of cookie cutter template that I can move around and take copies or copy to clipboards so that I can create a series of these?

I have Aperture, Photoshop Elements 3 (I know), Preview and Picasa.

2. I'd love some kind of map functionality that let me do this with a series of set overlaps so some of the info on one sheet was also on the edge of the next sheet and so on.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.6.3), Mac Pro, MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 6:09 PM

Hotwheels -- sorry, I don't have time to retype a long message I lost before posting. I started by saying "Ideas? That's the easy part :-)". Here's a summary of the rest:

1. Make a lot of Versions and crop each one to the aspect ratio you need.

2. Make a spreadsheet of X, Y, Width, & Height values (in pixels) that fits with the size of the pages, the print size on the page, the pixels per inch of the print, and the overlap you want between pages. Make a lot of Versions and put those parameters in the Crop Brick. Print all the Versions. There are two tricky parts. One, you have to understand how Crop uses X, Y, Width, and Height. Practice! Make a diagram. Two, there are two sets of offsets involved. One set is offset from X and Y that determines the Width and Height, the other is the offset from X1 and Y1 to X2 and Y2. This second set of offsets should equal the first offset minus the overlap you want.

Good luck.

< Edited By Host > 😊 Thanks.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2011 6:09 PM in response to Hotwheels22

Hotwheels -- sorry, I don't have time to retype a long message I lost before posting. I started by saying "Ideas? That's the easy part :-)". Here's a summary of the rest:

1. Make a lot of Versions and crop each one to the aspect ratio you need.

2. Make a spreadsheet of X, Y, Width, & Height values (in pixels) that fits with the size of the pages, the print size on the page, the pixels per inch of the print, and the overlap you want between pages. Make a lot of Versions and put those parameters in the Crop Brick. Print all the Versions. There are two tricky parts. One, you have to understand how Crop uses X, Y, Width, and Height. Practice! Make a diagram. Two, there are two sets of offsets involved. One set is offset from X and Y that determines the Width and Height, the other is the offset from X1 and Y1 to X2 and Y2. This second set of offsets should equal the first offset minus the overlap you want.

Good luck.

< Edited By Host > 😊 Thanks.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Oct 12, 2011 7:05 AM in response to SierraDragon

Hi SD,

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

Do you mind if I ask you the strengths and weaknesses of each? In part I ask because I am trying to figure out if I need something now or if I can just hang on and get the adobe CS suite (or whatever it is). At some point I need functional linking of images to "posters layouts" as well as some kind of illustrator vector functionality.

Thanks for the help and advice.

- Jon

Oct 12, 2011 8:55 AM in response to hotwheels22

Jon-

I do not know the operational pros and cons of each. I have only used full Photoshop forever, now the CS Collection. However IMO the graphics world has changed. IMO Adobe's ridiculously high priced apps are no longer the only game in town except for full graphics pros.

If you are for sure evolving into Adobe's ridiculously high priced web then go to PSE to start. Money-wise you will find Adobe gouging you at every corner. I could buy a very nice car with what Adobe has extracted from me over the years.

GIMP is free, open source and cool, but takes more management on the user's part than a commercial supported product like Pixelmator. Everyone I know who uses Pixelmator is pleased with it.

Personally I would start with free GIMP and the good fairly generic tutorials there.

Google "vector graphics software mac" for alternatives to Illy.

HTH

-Allen

Printing Maps (dividing and to scale)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.