Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Server Serial Number - Fresh Install

I bought a used Mac Mini Server on eBay. The seller wiped it out before sending, and as I start it up I'm prompted to enter a server serial number, which unfortunately the seller didn't provide in the box, and now I can't get ahold the seller either. The original 10.6 discs are provided.

Am I out of luck? If so, can I simply purchase a Lion Server software in the App Store for $49.99 and hope to use a serial number provided that way? I'd hoped to have the Snow Leopard server for a while first, but don't see it for sale anywhere, at that price at least.

Thank you for your time.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 1:09 PM

5 replies

Oct 12, 2011 4:46 AM in response to John Lockwood

The discs included are Snow Leopard Server discs, but the serial number that is supposed to be printed on a peice of paper is not there. Good to know that Lion Server does not have a serial number, but since I cannot get into the server rignt now, I guess I can't download Lion to it to be able to use it either?! Unless there's a way to download it to another computer and burn a disc image of it?

Oct 12, 2011 5:44 AM in response to Jason Fugate

As a first step, I would try contacting the seller and asking if they can find the serial number sheet. Snow Leopard Server which you might still be able to buy costs a lot more than Lion Server. If the eBay seller sold it as a Server and did not include the needed serial number then they arguably have broken the terms of the sale and you would have a claim against them. If they however advertised it as missing the serial number then you knew what you were getting in to.

You could also try contacting Apple. If the Snow Leopard Server was bundled with the Mac mini which it would have been if it was a proper Mac mini Server, then they might have a record of this.

Aug 13, 2012 12:07 PM in response to Jason Fugate

I was able to contact Apple Enterprise Support today by calling AppleCare. I provided them with the Mac mini serial number and the receipt number from the Apple Retail Store. They were able to look up the Snow Leopard Server software serial number with that info and email it to me. My computer was not covered by a support agreement, and they helped me without having to buy one.

Missing Server Serial Number - Fresh Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.