Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the esc key do almost nothing on a Mac?

Why does the esc key do almost nothing on a Mac? It seems almost useless to have it.

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 7:18 PM

From what I understand, it's there for some 3rd party software that can use it; e.g. some games, etc. But is IS useful for force-quitting a frozen application or eternally spinning beach ball. You hold down Option and Command and then press ESC and you get the force-quit dialog box and then you can exit the application.

Rick

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2011 7:18 PM in response to poflynn

From what I understand, it's there for some 3rd party software that can use it; e.g. some games, etc. But is IS useful for force-quitting a frozen application or eternally spinning beach ball. You hold down Option and Command and then press ESC and you get the force-quit dialog box and then you can exit the application.

Rick

Oct 11, 2011 9:15 PM in response to Richard Segedi

Thanks. Yeah, I've used that before to force quit. Although the other day it didn't really work for a while when my Mail app was stuck trying to send a too-big attachment. Ctrl-Alt-Del seems to work better on a PC.

But anyway, I had gotten used to using the esc for closing lots of little windows and things and here it hardly does anything.

Why does the esc key do almost nothing on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.