Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an Apple TV1, Apple TV2, and a mac mini in my media room

Hello,

As the subject line says, I have a lot of apple products in my media room. I was wondering if there is a way to keep the remotes seperate for each of the devices. I don't mind using three remotes, and each machine has its own purpose: TV1 is for streaming itunes, TV2 is for netflix, and the mac mini is my all in one server.

They each get used on a regular basis, and each remote unfortunately decides to play with all the devices. I have tried to learn and forget them on their respectible machine, but that doesn't last.

Any suggestions? Is there a third party remote I can use? Is there a way to permanently use a single remote for each device? or is their a multi remote I can program?

I am sure someone else has had a similar problem, but I was unable to find a solution 🙂

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions.

~ Artiss

Apple TV, Apple TV 1, Apple TV 2, Mac Mini

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 11:20 PM

Not sure why pairing isn'tworking for you.

My hunch about Apple remotes is that they send a unique remote ID along with the key code when you press a button.

Apple Remotes can control any Apple Device initially, but pairing makes that device ignore remotes with other IDs rather than doing anything to the remote. You say you've tried pairing - unless you're inadvertently unpairing or resetting noit sure why it's not working for you.

Out of interest why are you suing AppleTV1 and 2?

AppleTV2 is more than capable of streaming local iTunes content, though does not have all the browsing/purchasing options and some AppleTV1 features. Maybe they're connected to different devices?

Assume you know you can disable the IR reception on a Mini under System Prefs>Security (from memory).

Options:

1) Try pairing again. Best to turn off other devices when pairing/unpairing.

2) Use AppleTV 'Learn Remote' feature to program each to respond to a different non-Apple remote, though Mini can't do that.

3) Apple's Remote app on iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to control the Apple TVs (you could also get a screen sharing app to control the Mini if you wanted to).

AC

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2011 11:20 PM in response to Artiss

Not sure why pairing isn'tworking for you.

My hunch about Apple remotes is that they send a unique remote ID along with the key code when you press a button.

Apple Remotes can control any Apple Device initially, but pairing makes that device ignore remotes with other IDs rather than doing anything to the remote. You say you've tried pairing - unless you're inadvertently unpairing or resetting noit sure why it's not working for you.

Out of interest why are you suing AppleTV1 and 2?

AppleTV2 is more than capable of streaming local iTunes content, though does not have all the browsing/purchasing options and some AppleTV1 features. Maybe they're connected to different devices?

Assume you know you can disable the IR reception on a Mini under System Prefs>Security (from memory).

Options:

1) Try pairing again. Best to turn off other devices when pairing/unpairing.

2) Use AppleTV 'Learn Remote' feature to program each to respond to a different non-Apple remote, though Mini can't do that.

3) Apple's Remote app on iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to control the Apple TVs (you could also get a screen sharing app to control the Mini if you wanted to).

AC

I have an Apple TV1, Apple TV2, and a mac mini in my media room

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.