Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen going blank macbook pro

Hi,

Since I installed Lion on my 2010 Macbook pro, I occasionally get an issue, where the Screen completely blanks out (like it's been switched off) the keyboard backlight goes on (seems to be full intencity) and is completely unresponsive.

The only way I've found to get things going again is to press and hold the power button until the machine turns off, then restart.

This was only happening when I had disconnected the power from the machine (usually when I opened it again on the train to do some work), but today it's also done it twice with the power plugged in.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 9:08 PM

5 replies

Nov 28, 2011 12:10 PM in response to atomicbomb

Many many people are having this problem with the 330m Macbook Pros. Unfortunatly the TS update doesn't fix the BDoD, only patches the photobooth bug so we can no longer force the crash, expecially when bringing it to genius bar's. I've had my logic board replaced multiple times, as have many others. That doesn't fix the problem at all for most people. This is just one of those issues that you can't fix because Apple still hasn't corrected it and owned up to their faulty hardware and drivers with the Nvidia 330m. Best thing you can do is either install gfxstatus and never run the dedicated nvidia card, or downgrade to Snow Leopard where although it will still crash, the number of crashes will be reduced. Sorry bro. I've been hoping for a fix for months now, but Apple's customer support is lacking greatly so I'm not holding my breath lol.

Mar 26, 2012 4:33 PM in response to atomicbomb

Existing problem ,

My macbook pro mid2010 15" 10.7.

it randomly goes into BLACKSCREEN in regard of any programmes i'm runninng.

I can only resolve the problem by holding the resetting button and restart my mac all over again.

This has been bothering for the past two weeks, i have tried many ways to get rid of it but all doesnt seem to be helpful at all.

I have tried deleting application, changing my power saver mode and temperature check but the problem still persists.

this problem has caused me to lose many of my information as it goes blackout in the midst of the work.

Dissapointed.

Please do help me with my problem...

Mar 26, 2012 8:43 PM in response to RyanZc

Like others have mentioned here, this is a hardware problem and not a software problem.

The only way i've been able to remove the problem is by using this tool: http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

which allows you to force the computer to use Integrated mode. This has meant that I can no longer use my external display as this uses the discrete graphics card, but it at least stops my computer from needing a hard reset in the middle of some important work when the screen blanks out

I unfortunately never applied my Applecare to my laptop, so I'm stuck with it 😟

Screen going blank macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.