Skip navigation

MacBook Pro-Leopard won't load - HD reads okay-URGENT WORK!

613 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2011 7:59 PM by annexit RSS
annexit Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 11, 2011 10:14 PM

HELP!  MacBook Pro Core Duo shows apple and spinning ball at start up- did the usual (safe mode, reset smu, boot from install disk- and was able to verify hd) went to Genius Bar, guy there tested it said HD was fine probably a software problem, suggested archive and reinstall. Had been having some freezes, some errors (e.g., trying to use Time MAchine but failed) that pointed to needing to reinstall OS.   Tried to archive and install that but finally got message that it failed - BUT used 11 of the 20 GIGs or so remaining in doing so, so can't even try again.  I have a back up from about a week ago (just copied home folders to external drive when I couldn't use time machine, have a bootable clone as well from some time ago so could reintall the clone and add back the home folders I guess) but I have some work done in the last week that I do need quite urgently if there is any way I can get in and grab the files.  I have at my disposal a slightly earlier MacBook Pro running Tiger and a new MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

Suggestions?  Don't want to mess up anything. A few months out of Apple Care, too. Anyone up?

Thanks,

Annexit

btw, can't figure out updated Apple Support Communities - used to be able to find the group I needed, so sorry if this is in the wrong place

• smintitule Calculating status...

If you have a copy of your hard drive on an external drive that's bootable, I'd suggest booting from that drive (plug it into the USB port and hold alt/option at startup to select that drive), and seeing if your internal HDD shows up as a 2nd mounted hard drive.

Assuming you have an external enclosure, you also might want to try ripping the internal HDD with the files you need out of your MacBook Pro, putting it in the enclosure, and mounting it as an external drive on another Mac.  If you do that, you should be able to see your documents and a few other things, at least.

• smintitule Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Yeah---when in doubt, you can almost always use your internal drive as a "removable" drive by booting from a different HDD.  I'm glad you got it working--At this point I'd suggest making copies of everything important and just re-formatting and re-installing, then recovering from time machine (well, a time machine that's known to be stable).

It's possible you just have some corrupted data on the hard drive, and re-formatting will take care of it.

Glad I could be of help,

-Smintitule (which is, in fact, the vocative [read: name-calling] case of a word meaning "insane" in romanian)

• a brody Level 9 Level 9 (62,025 points)

Oh I see you have replies here.  I've also replied here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16431089#16431089

Please in the future, if crossposting, note that replies have come in your other thread when they do.

• a brody Level 9 Level 9 (62,025 points)

One logic board failure is pure chance.  Two sounds like maybe there is something wrong here.  Are you plugging in directly to the outlet in the wall without a surge protector?  Older homes this can be a no-no.     Unreliable power can kill a machine.   The other thing, that commonly happens is people don't understand how fragile their cables are.  See my FAQ*:

http://www.macmaps.com/frayguide.html

If you feel you have damaged your cord, or your port, and have another logic board replaced, keep that in mind for the future.  Do not under power your notebook.  MacBook Pros require a full 85W.

10.7.1 iMac 5,1 MacBook Pro 3,1, Mac OS X (10.7.1), - * Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.