Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extremely large file sizes for iMovie events

So here's my problem. I'm using a Sony HDR-XR160 to shoot videos at 1080p, then using iMovie 11 to edit them. I shot a few hours of footage this weekend. The raw files (.mts format) took up about 20 GB total. I then imported the videos from my camera to iMovie. Currently about half of them have been imported and they are taking up 100GB of space! So I expect that when the import is done, this iMovie Event will be about 200 GB in size.

Ok this isn't a big deal in the short run. I can do my video editing, export the projects I make, and when I'm done I can delete the gigantic 200GB event. However, is there any way to have iMovie export all the clips to smaller files of the same quality? For example, I can export the event as a bunch of .mov files that will bring the size back down to 20 GB? I don't have enough harddrive to keep the 200GB event.

Note: For some reason I can't import the .mts files into iMovie directly (or at least I do not know how). But I am able to do 'Import from Camera' to import the videos... so maybe there is someway to import .mts files?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iMovie 11

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 11:10 PM

2 replies

Oct 12, 2011 5:04 AM in response to dmatlack

When you save a camera archive, iMovie makes an exact copy of the files on your camera. You can import from this later, using FILE/IMPORT/From Archive. This will be the same size as your originals.

Your camera shoots in AVCHD. This is a highly compressed group of pictures compression method. It is great for playback. However for editing, it is best to resolve the compressed frames into full frames. When AVCHD is imported into iMovie, it is converted to Apple Intermediate Codec. The AIC clips may be up to 10x larger than the AVCHD files.

Extremely large file sizes for iMovie events

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.