Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Siri support multiple languages

I live and work in a multilingual environment. As a result, I often have to send SMS and emails in English, French, Italian or Portuguese. With the keyboard, I am used to switch language with the globe key next to the spacebar. With Siri however I am not sure how this can work. When it does eventually support the above languages, will I be able to use different languages without changing the whole telephone setting? Can one say "send email to my wife: buongiorno amore"? It would be a real letdown if the coolest feature of iOS 5 were unusable to me...

Thanks

iPhone 4, Other OS

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 11:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 12:16 AM

English, German , French only at this time.

On the fly language switching is unknown at this time.

6 replies

Oct 12, 2011 2:23 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

So, if switching on the fly is not possible, will it be possible to switch between languages using Siri? A number of features is only supported using English up to now. But if I use Siri in english, I won't be able to send an SMS or email in german. Is it possible to say e.g. "switch to german", then send your email, then say "umschalten nach englisch", and then do some calculations using Wolfram Alpha?

Oct 12, 2011 5:28 AM in response to dengelke

I ask myself the same question. Voice-controlled language switching would definitly be great since there are so many features lacking in the german version

But I saw a screenshot somewhere (keynote?) which shows that Siri has it's own language setting so you don't have to change your phone's setiing just for this

Oct 23, 2011 3:22 AM in response to risoldi

Yes, exactly. I am using Siri in English since she gets better along with the rather easy synthax (compared to German). Unfortunately you cannot switch directly when writing a message. For example, if you tell her to "write a message to my wife", you may immediately dictate what you want to say but only in English. If I want to write her in German instead, I will have to tap once on the message area. She then instantly changes to German (or any other language that was used as keyboard before) which also affects Siri's voice recognition. But one tap is reasonable. 🙂

Does Siri support multiple languages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.