12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2011 2:01 PM by iCloud5
paulfromhawick Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

the iphone could not be synced  because the sync session failed too finish??

 

this is staring to really annoy me

 

any help


iPhone 4
  • todd223 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Do you happen to use iToner or run iTunes in 32bit mode for some reason?  I removed all my ringtones, deleted the backup, and restarted iTunes in 64bit mode and it worked for me.

  • donfrommidwest city Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I unchecked both the sync movies, and sync photos tabs, hit sync and it worked fine, then went in and rechecked the boxes, and synced it again, and that seems to have done the trick. Good luck.

  • Michael Rovira Level 2 Level 2 (235 points)

    I too am getting The iPhone could not be synced because the sync session failed to finish message every time I try to sync.....Yes, I am using iToner... Why would that be an issue? What do you suggest to correct this? Thanks!

  • dmspen Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    I am ot using iToner or anything else and I get this error. Unchecking things makes no difference.

    Any thoughts?

  • Eric Seaberg Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    I just confirmed it's related to iToner.  I had to delete all of my ringtones, then re-sync and it's all good.  I will confirm this with my wife's phone, as well, but it's looking like Ambrosia's got some 'splainin to do!!

  • Eric Seaberg Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    Based on the problem with iToner, I found a workaround until Ambrosia can fix their problem.  Once iToner has created your RINGTONES, import them into iTunes as ringtones (with the .4mr extension).  You can then delete the iToner versions from your phone and re-install them all using iTunes.  NO MORE PROBLEMS and my ringtones are available as before.

  • Michael Rovira Level 2 Level 2 (235 points)

    Yes, I too have confirmed that iToner is the culprit here. I checked the Ambrosia site and they have confirmed there is an issue that they are working on for the next update.

    I'm going to try your workaround Eric....Thanks for that!

  • Eric Seaberg Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    Actually I 'flipped' the extension.  It's actually .m4r.  You could also create and .m4a (Apple MP4) within iTunes then open the file and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r.  Works exactly the same way, then you re-import the .m4r within iTunes as a ringtone.

     

    As far as I'm concerned, iToner just lost a customer.  They had plenty of time with IOS 5 and iTunes 10.5 betas to track this.  And, honestly, the way I mentioned above is much easier (changing extension).

     

    Good luck!

  • Eric Seaberg Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    I forgot to mention that if you DO use iToner to create the tones, they will reside on your drive in /User/Library/Application Support/Ambrosia iToner Cache (or something like that... I already deleted mine).  Import and COPY into iTunes from here.

  • tnguyen92003 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    problem fix don't use itoner, if you already use itoner, remove all the ringtone from itoner, and remove the itoner from you computer, the re-start itunes everything work.

  • Eric Seaberg Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    Notice above that you CAN add your ringtones back by re-encoding them, OR import them into iTunes as ringtones BEFORE you delete iToner from your system!!  My email above tnguyen92003 tells you how to do that.

  • iCloud5 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I had the same issue with syncing after the IO5.0 upgrade.  The "Other" memory was now at 6GB, and this was the result of the new "music" rather than "ipod" player dividing up the DLA or access to the movies/ringtons/music.

     

    I performed the following steps after reading many threads: (using WinXP iTunes)

     

    • I unplugged the iPhone from iTunes
    • I closed iTunes
    • I opened iTunes, and then I deleted the LIBRARY, but not the files of my ringtones, movies and music.
    • I closed iTunes
    • I opened iTunes, had iTunes scan for my items again (add folder)
    • I connected the phone to iTunes
    • I noted that the "Other" mem size was now .05 gb
    • I sync'd the phone, and it completed the steps and reloaded all my files again.

     

    This worked for me, hope it works for you.