Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Error -50". Can't update iphone 4 to iOS 5.

I'm trying to update to iOS 5 on my Mac (10.6.8). My iTunes is the most recent version. After iOS 5 dowloaded, I got a message saying:

"An error occurred while backing up this iPhone (-50). Would you like to continue to update this iPhone?

Continuing will result in loss of all contents on this iPhone"

Heck no I don't want to lose all contents on the iPhone.

If anyone else is experiencing this and has a solution, I'd much appreciate it.

Cheers,

Travis

iPhone 4, iOS 4.2

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 11:17 AM

44 replies

Oct 12, 2011 6:47 PM in response to tensider

I've gotten the same error perhaps 10 times in a row. iPad 2 4.3.5, MBP 10.7.2. Looking at the logs on my machine shows nothing unusual (though there's so much noise I could be missing something), and the logs on the iPad actually say the backup completed if I'm reading them right. Interestingly, if I just sync it works fine. It's just trying to update that fails. If I can't get it to work pretty soon, I'll just click continue and then restore the backup after it installs.

Oct 12, 2011 7:32 PM in response to chad515

Some folks in other forums are saying it might be connected to the other errors that are plaguing people trying to upgrade, in that it has to do with communicating back to the (completely melted down) Apple servers.

I did find the explanation of the error -50 and it was a "timed out" error. The recommended solutions were not terribly helpful or effective. They referenced another error's fixes that started with "check your link cable" and ended with "reformat your device".

I think I'll let the problem go for tonight and try again in the morrow. Good luck, everyone!

Oct 12, 2011 9:25 PM in response to tensider

Figured it out for mine. Seems to be when the MobileSync folder is symlinked to another drive. I have an SSD+HDD in my MacBook Pro and kept my backup data on the HDD. After deleting the symlink and copying the MobileSync folder back to the SSD, it worked. I should have updated this earlier, but the Apple forums were extremely slow for me today.

Please see my thread at MacRumors if you want more detail:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13569431

Oct 13, 2011 11:21 AM in response to tensider

I may have figured it out. The problem seemed to be connected to a lack of backup ability on the device (maybe a bad preference file?). I found this line that re-enables the functionality (first close itunes!):

defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool false

Then re-open itunes and try the update. It hopefully then allows the backup, update, and restore. It was scary as heck during the delete, update, and restore. Everything seems to be here, though.

Good luck. Hope this helps some folks.

"Error -50". Can't update iphone 4 to iOS 5.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.