Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internal error occurred

Downloaded iOS 5 for my iPhone 3GS, but during the installation got the error message - The phone Larry's iPhone could not be restored. An internal error occurred. Installed iTunes 10.5 before the download.

Two attempts at installation failed with the same error. All is normal on the iPhone 3GS, but still shows the iOS 4.

Have seen similar threads in the iPad 2 discussions.

Any thoughts? Any hope?

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 11:56 AM

9 replies

Oct 12, 2011 1:12 PM in response to Larry Gage

I have the same problem. I've updated iTunes to 10.5 and OS X to 10.7.2, plugged the phone directly in to my MBP and still no luck.

I just bought a MBP because I kept hearing how easy it was to use and how integrated all the Apple products are. So far I'm not that impressed with the simplicity or integration. Hardware is build very robust, but other than that...not too happy so far 😠

Supposed to be getting 2 4Ss on Friday....atleast THEY will have iOS5 preinstalled 😎

Oct 12, 2011 3:56 PM in response to red4ever

After seeing the "internal error" message four times, I tried one more time and this time iTunes 10.5 completely restored my iPhone running iOS 4.3.5. It's as if I've completely confused my computer. By the way, I upgraded to 10.7.5 prior to attempting to upgrade to iOS 5. Apparently there's some serious server issues here. I'll wait until iTunes completely restores my phone and then wait a couple of days to upgrade. Disappointing.

Oct 12, 2011 4:58 PM in response to Larry Gage

I was finally able to get my phone connected and updated. Now the battle begins with my girlfriend's phone. I know my OS/firewall/iTunes settings are correct because I was able to get mine done. Now I'm experiencing the same problems with hers...I think it's on Apple's end 😠

Here's the message I'm getting now...The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

internal error occurred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.