Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move to iCloud from MobileMe - Please Try Again Later

I go through all the screens, make sure everything is properly set up and click on the agree button for the terms etc., then I'm presented with a generic message:

Please Try Again Later

We are unable to move your account at this time

Is this just due to server overload or is there something I could/should do on my end to get this to go through?

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 1:40 PM

34 replies

Oct 12, 2011 3:27 PM in response to Drawing Business

I'm in the same boat. I have a theory why it might be happening, though I haven't tested it yet.

I have a separate Apple ID that I use for iTunes purchases...one that is different from my Mobile Me login / email address. Unfortunately, Apple does not let you merge the two which makes this annoying and much less efficient. When I signed up for iCloud on my iPad, it had already prefilled the email address box with my iTunes ID. I did try changing it to my Mobile Me account instead, and it came back asking me first to move my Mobile Me account over to iCloud on my computer. I hadn't finished downloading and installing the Lion update yet, so I instead went back and signed up for iCloud using my iTunes account.

Recently I just finished insalling the Lion update and when trying to sign in to my iCloud account, I was asked to first move my Mobile Me account to iCloud. When I tried, I got the same error message as everyone else here. I'm thinking I may have to go back to my iPad, delete my iCloud account (the one using my iTunes login), and then try to move Mobile Me to iCloud yet again. My iPad is busy re-syncing thousands of songs, so I can't test out this theory for awhile.

So in the meantime, how many of you here signed up for iCloud on your iOS device using a separate ID than your Mobile Me account login?

________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________

EDIT:

After typing all of the above, I tried once again to migrate MM to iCloud and this time it worked, so there goes my theory 🙂

Message was edited by: OneCogToRuleTheWorld

Oct 12, 2011 3:46 PM in response to octafish

Same here. I have some questions for you guys to help me figure out the problem. Are you paying for MobileMe or have in the past? Also, do you have an old AppleID that may not have the @mac or @me name?

For example I have two Id's, membername@mac.com and membername I'm trying to move my membername@mac.com.

I am curious if the problem is related to multiple accounts. I have some other thoughts too... might just be busy. :-) and a couple others... Let's get this figured out.

Oct 12, 2011 4:10 PM in response to octafish

Here's a nice Apple article regarding these types of messages:

iCloud: Troubleshooting the move from MobileMe to iCloud

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4003?viewlocale=en_US

It states:

1. Check the System Status on the MobileMe Support Site to see if there are any issues with MobileMe impacting the move to iCloud.
  2. Wait a few hours and try again.
  3. Try at a different time of the day.

I hope this info helps.

Oct 12, 2011 4:20 PM in response to octafish

I thought the problem may have been related to the fact that I updated to iOS 5 on my phone first and it prompted me to create an iCloud account on there that became tied to my apple id.

When I installed the Lion update today and it told me to move my MobileMe account to iCloud, I figured it would simply take all my mobileme information and download it to my computer for use in my new iCloud account, or otherwise let me designate the target iCloud account.

That's when I ran into the problem everyone here is reporting. About 45 minutes ago, I was finally able to move my MobileMe account to iCloud, so that disproves the theory that the difficulty is related to multiple accounts. I think the server was simply overloaded. Keep trying and eventually it will work.

However, once I completed the process, it was only to find that I ended up with another new iCloud account!

What's worse is that this was the family pack master account that I migrated. I ultimately completed the migration according to the instructions and then when done, I went back to system preferences and disconnected from iCloud. It allowed me to keep my contacts and warned me I would lose my calendars and other data. I took the plunge anyway, figuring I could manually restore important calendar items later.

As luck would have it, nothing was lost or deleted. Everything stayed on my computer as I would hope.

Then I reconnected to iCloud using my brand new iCloud account from earlier in the day, the one I had created on my iPhone and which is tied to my apple id. All my information got synced up to iCloud from my computer. I verified it by going to iCloud.com

So all's well that ends well. My apple id and my icloud account are now one and the same, and I have all my information syncing as it should.

For all of you encountering difficulties, I strongly encourage you to consider the hassle you will have to deal with should you end up with an iCloud account that is not connected to your apple id, which is what WILL happen if you move your MobileMe account and that isn't already connected to your apple id.

Instead, don't bother moving anything. Just make sure all your mobile me content you care about is on your main computer and create a new iCloud account that is tied to your apple id.

After you have done this, you can use Apple Mail to move all messages from your inbox, drafts and sent folder under your MobileMe account into the corresponding folders in your new iCloud account (or just keep both email accounts if you desire).

Anyway, the point is, I see no value in moving your mobileme account unless it is already tied to your apple id. If that's the case, then do it. if not, then stop worrying about the server being down. It's not going to be helpful in the long run unless you actually want two independent accounts (iCloud vs iTunes purchases)

Can't move to iCloud from MobileMe - Please Try Again Later

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.