Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Stuck in Recovery Mode after Unsuccessful iOS5 Update

Hi all,

Ok, so I tried to update to iOS5...and failed miserably. Now my iPhone 4 is stuck in recovery mode (Apple logo, sandtimer circle, black screen...and repeat) to the point my laptop doesn't even recognise it is connected via USB. I got various error codes, including 3002 and 3004, before it completely crashed.

Any ideas on how to break the above cycle and restore to backup files? Reading other forums, a ot of people are saying be patient and wait for traffic on Apple servers to calm down, but my iPhone is now useless and the fact it isn't even recognised by iTunes/laptop surely means Apple servers cannot do much with it?

Very, very annoyed!

Thanks,

DK

Samsung R530, Windows 7, iPhone 4, iTunes 10, iPod Classic, iPod Nano

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 3:11 PM

13 replies

Oct 12, 2011 3:45 PM in response to darrkaye

Hey guys,

I had the same issue and I was very unhappy. Unfortunately this is happening due to the sheer volume of people trying to update there phone software. You wont like this answer but unfortunately it does work. If you keep trying, and trying....... and trying it will eventually go through and work like a charm. The software does work, your phone is not broken, it will just take some patience.

Oct 12, 2011 6:45 PM in response to darrkaye

I'm having the same problem. At first i couldn't get iOS5 to install, then I read i could enter recovery mode and manually install the update. After trying that several times, windows has stopped recognizing the device all together. I get a short pop up error when i plug it in saying the device is malfunctioning, and then nothing. I really really need my phone for work tomorrow. This really *****.

Oct 12, 2011 7:00 PM in response to darrkaye

Hi Guys

I had this problem where my phone was looping in DPU mode, after 40 or 50 tries the update finally happened. I was getting different error codes each time 11,3200, 1964 etc. Be patient and keep trying, if the apple servers can't verify the install you will get one of these errors but eventually it will work, keep in mind that many many people around the world are flooding the servers. Don't panic, your phone is not broken if you are stuck in DPU. If the phone is looping (switching itself off and on) follow the instructions in the thread link above. 🙂

Oct 12, 2011 10:12 PM in response to darrkaye

Pianfully frustrating day of the same but; I Got Better...

Failure during download of iOS 5 and 3GS stuck in 'recovery' (aka Distress) mode.

Tried to Restore (post caveat that all non-factory stuff would be lost) but - it would begin the restore process, go through excreting software (or whatever the term was), infusing and confirming to and into firmaware, seem to be on the path to... and fail.

Failure report declared a #1 type of error. Thus bringing everything right back to 'recovery', with the image of USB wire (coming up from bottom of screen) needing to get with 'iTunes' near top of the screen, over and over and over. And over and over and...

But I kept going through the cycle, kept getting the error, kept restoring (encouraged by C.Vic & Ed from P'smouth - thanks guys!) and it finally worked.

Further good news is once it did (this had become so automatic that I first thought the 'Success' message was yet another in the cycle of fail), it updated to 5, backup asked if I was still me and I did not lose all my data. Photos, contacts, voice msgs that had been there as well as recent calls - all there. In fact, while the iPhone was inoperable, text msgs and v.msgs had come in and were available on the phone.

So, if stuck in recovery, restore fails over and over, likely worth restoring and restoring, and...

Oct 13, 2011 1:18 AM in response to darrkaye

Hi Guys,

After 5hrs of work last night I finally got my iPhone out of the recovery mode/DFU loop. I cannot find the discussion which helped me, but in essence:

• Connect your iPhone to iTunes - in my case iTunes did not recognise a device was connected
  • Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/Lock button for around 15secs, until phone reboots
  • Release the Sleep/Lock button, but keep the Home button pressed for a few more seconds until Apple logo appears
  • Drivers will begin to be installed and iTunes will hopefully recognise your device.

Once I did this and restored my iPhone from a backup, I realised that my original iOS5 update attempt had been successful, it simply couldn't verify this with Apple due to server traffic volumes, I presume.

Hope this helps,

DK

Nov 15, 2011 1:34 PM in response to darrkaye

OS 5 is facing problem with updating after been updated to iOS 5, iPhone is stuck in recovery mode (Apple logo & black screen repeat repeatedly).

You can reset it in normal way of how when the iPhone crashes or locks up that prevents the iPhone from responding to being turned off for the steps follow this link,

http://pathumf.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-reboot-stuck-iphone-iphone-4s.html

Hope you will get it.

Pathum.

Mar 9, 2012 2:26 PM in response to darrkaye

Hey everyone

Today is day 2 of my 4s being stuck in recovery mode it has been restored 4x successfully now and within 4-12hours it reverts back to recovery mode, like everyone else I'm trying to be patient but with this being my main business mobile it makes being patient very difficult.

Has anyone else had their 4s restored then revert back to the recovery mode? I have tried everything every one has suggested to no success it just keeps booting back, and now when I do go to restore I get error messages ranging from ( 9, 21, 28) they change each time I try to restore.

iPhone 4 Stuck in Recovery Mode after Unsuccessful iOS5 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.