Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I merge 2 Apple IDs?

Apple is recommending that we use 1 Apple ID for iCloud and Purchases. I want to do that. However I have 2 IDs now. An Apple ID that I use for iTunes which is not an email address. The second ID is my .mac/MobileMe address (which is an email address, or 2 addresses, technically.) I would like to continue with my iTunes ID, since all my purchases are tied to that one. How can I tie that ID to my MobileMe and hence iCloud. I have 7 more months of iCloud free that I will lose if I just bail on the .me address.

I am confused here.

Chris

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 4:52 PM

233 replies

Apr 27, 2017 2:32 PM in response to LesMikesell

My participation in this thread happened when the change to email addresses was forced and I could not use my own gmail ID that I had created separately. But when I tried again after a long time of not using the gmail ID, I was allowed to convert to it. With no idea why it didn't work at first or did eventually.

I've always used a non-Apple email address as my Apple ID, first my Earthlink address, then my Gmail address. To the best of my knowledge, once Apple moved from "user names" to "email addresses as user names", you've been able to use any address you chose. At this point, without seeing the error messages, it's almost impossible to say why you had a problem using your Gmail address as your Apple ID.

For even more mystery, when I logged into this conversation in a browser it prompted me for a verification code - which popped up in a nearby area of the same screen.

You've apparently set up Two-Factor Authentication.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

And now it seems like you can log individual apps into different accounts. Is that a good idea?

I'm really not sure what you mean by that. Apps that you download are always tied to the Apple ID that you used when downloading them. If you mean something different, can you try to explain in a different way?

Apr 27, 2017 4:37 PM in response to LesMikesell

LesMikesell wrote:

My problem was that I saw somewhere that Apple was starting to require Apple IDs to be email addresses, so I created a new one using my gmail address. Then when I logged into my old Apple ID account and was prompted to change it to one that was an email address, but I could not use the one I had just created. So I ignored it for a few months and tried the same thing again and it worked. I don't know if the new ID had expired from lack of use or if they changed the way things worked. Fairly confusing either way. Basically I'm not buying anything new tied to accounts that I don't know how to manage.

You were supposed to update your existing ID, not create a new one. That's where most people get into trouble. Once you created a new Apple ID with an email address, you can't use that email address in another Apple ID. I suspect that you never verified the new Apple ID.

As long as you don't create a new Apple ID for yourself, there's really nothing much to manage. Update the Apple ID if your email address changes. Don't share an Apple ID. Use Family Sharing for sharing content.

Start here:

Managing your Apple ID - Official Apple Support

Apr 27, 2017 2:00 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Is there a comprehensive description of how Apple ID and its recommended use have changed over the years? For example, I started with one long ago that was not an email address and used the same on my wife's phone because there was no other way to share app purchases. My participation in this thread happened when the change to email addresses was forced and I could not use my own gmail ID that I had created separately. But when I tried again after a long time of not using the gmail ID, I was allowed to convert to it. With no idea why it didn't work at first or did eventually. For even more mystery, when I logged into this conversation in a browser it prompted me for a verification code - which popped up in a nearby area of the same screen.... And now it seems like you can log individual apps into different accounts. Is that a good idea?

Apr 27, 2017 2:54 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

My problem was that I saw somewhere that Apple was starting to require Apple IDs to be email addresses, so I created a new one using my gmail address. Then when I logged into my old Apple ID account and was prompted to change it to one that was an email address, but I could not use the one I had just created. So I ignored it for a few months and tried the same thing again and it worked. I don't know if the new ID had expired from lack of use or if they changed the way things worked. Fairly confusing either way. Basically I'm not buying anything new tied to accounts that I don't know how to manage.

And yes, I have two-factor authentication on now - I just don't quite see the security benefit of asking for a code and popping it up in plain sight on the same machine.

As for multiple ID's - maybe I'm mistaken but I thought originally you logged into the phone with one ID that was then used for everything and now the app store, icloud, facetime, etc. could use different IDs if you want. If all of this was clear, I wouldn't be asking where to find documentation about the changes...

May 2, 2017 9:55 AM in response to LesMikesell

LesMikesell wrote:

Family sharing is a relatively new concept compared to how long ios devices have been around. And it still does not address how to merge ownership with a new marriage or split items up in a divorce or when children move out and start their own family.

Well, with a marriage, I imagine you just add your new spouse to family sharing. But, as I have neither a spouse nor family sharing, I can't verify.

I think it's important to remember that this is not a problem all of Apple's making. Buying a digital copy of an album or a movie is, legally, somewhat different than buying a physical copy. The licences and your ability to transfer those licenses tend to be more restrictive.

May 2, 2017 12:25 PM in response to LesMikesell

LesMikesell wrote:

Yes, I agree that it is different. And as such I'm not interested in buying anything that does not give the same rights as buying a physical copy.

Good luck with that in the future.

Did you ever read what rights you had for the CDs you bought? Probably not. I can't imagine people will be any more likely to read anything about digital media.

May 2, 2017 2:23 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

The thing is that there are consumer protection laws covering physical items that apply no matter what nonsense the people taking your money would like to happen. If my son wants to take the the CDs I bought for him when he moves out, he is allowed to do it - and then he can sell them if he wants. Even if the vendor tries to say he can't.

When there are equivalent purchase protections for digital media, I'll consider spending money on it. But not before.

May 2, 2017 2:30 PM in response to LesMikesell

LesMikesell wrote:

When there are equivalent purchase protections for digital media, I'll consider spending money on it. But not before.

But, what you aren't allowed to do, legally, is transfer that CD to digital, then sell the CD but keep the digital copy. Will anyone find out if you do? Probably not. But, of course, that's not the point.

I doubt we'll ever see a doctrine of first sale for digital media that looks exactly like that for physical media. So, keep buying those CDs.

May 2, 2017 3:57 PM in response to LesMikesell

As I said, do some Research, start with the Home Recording Act of 1992 and then the RIAA license terms for commercial recordings

Meantime here are the relevant sections form the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

How do I know what's legal and what's not when it comes to copying music/movies?

Here's the bottom line: If you distribute copyrighted music/movies without authorization from the copyright owner, you are breaking the law. (Distribution can mean anything from "sharing" files on the Internet to burning copies of copyrighted material onto blank CDs, DVDs, or Flash drives, and selling or giving them to others.)

Is it illegal to upload music/movies onto the Internet even if I don't charge for it?

Yes, if the material is protected by copyright and you don't have the copyright holder's permission. U.S. copyright law prohibits the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted creative work whether or not you charge money for it.

What will happen to me if I get caught illegally copying or distributing copyrighted music/movies?

Under federal law, first-time offenders who commit copyright violations that involve digital recordings can face criminal penalties of as much as five years in prison and/or $250,000 in fines. You could also be sued by the copyright holder in civil court, which could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars more in damages and legal fees.

May 2, 2017 4:28 PM in response to Chris Dondanville

Hi Chris,

Best possible solution I could think of is:

Step A: Change your apple id email address that you use for iTunes to an email address that you have access to by going into - https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin -> sign in with you account details -> click on account -> edit -> change email address. A verification mail will be sent to that email.

Step B: Continue to use your .me address in iCloud to use free iCloud space

PS: Apple offers Free 5GB iCloud storage to any apple id for life time.

Apple cannot merge the apple id accounts, however you can use multiple apple id's on an iPhone or iPad i.e, one for iTunes and app store, different one for iCloud.

Syam

Can I merge 2 Apple IDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.