Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie update incompatible with this iPhone?

Just tried to update iMovie on my iPhone 4, and though I I have the latest OS version I get an alert saying "This App is Incompatible With This iPhone" and a button that says "OK." The app update simply says "This update adresses minor issues and expands support for videos imported from external cameras."

There is no explanation as to why there would be a compatibility issue.

Also, as I had several app updates in the queue, I was forced to select each app and update it individually because the "incompatibility" of the iMovie update nullified the whole "Update All" function.

???????

Anyone else had this issue?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3, App Store Download

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 6:41 PM

5 replies

Oct 12, 2011 8:46 PM in response to AppleMan1958

Actually, I haven't upgraded to iOS 5 yet. It just came out today, right? This iMovie update makes no mention of iOS 5 being required. The alert gives no explanation. Also, why should a single app's incompatibility derail the whole update process?

I'm not quite ready to upgrade to iOS 5, until I sort out all the MobileMe / iCloud compatibility issues on my three Macs. I don't want to upgrade my phone and find that iPhone Calendar won't synch with iCal on my Snow Leopard Macs.

If iOS 5 is required for this iMovie update, it should actually say so in the decritpion.

Oct 13, 2011 9:36 AM in response to CREAMASTER

CREAMASTER wrote:

... It doesn't even tell you what app is failing, though I suppose it's always the top one.

Actually, iMovie was in the middle of my update queue. It was quite confusing. I really am surprised by this. Minimalism in design is fine if you are leaving out things that are not essential. But when the interface omits practical information and forces the user to hunt for the solution .... just dumb.

So if you don't upgrade the OS, then the App Store just hangs on to the incompatible update until you do. You can't remove it.

I have updated to iOS 5 now, and all is fine.

It seems that Apple has decided to prod users to upgrade by presenting us with annoying obstacles we have to figure out ourselves.

iMovie update incompatible with this iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.