Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Led flash alerts not working in iOS 5

I have turned on led flash notification on and nothing happens when I get phone calls, text, e-mail etc. I have turned off the led setting and then turned it off the phone. I then restarted it and turned the setting back on and nothing happens. The light never goes off. I checked the light and it works fine. Any ideas on how to fix this?

iOS 5

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 6:32 PM

14 replies

Oct 18, 2011 10:33 AM in response to baz1536

Reboot the phone. (Hold down power/sleep switch, then Slide to Power Off. Do NOT do a "hard reset" by continuously holding down power/sleep, which just yanks power)

Note the following:

- Phone must be asleep/locked for the LED to flash.

- LED flashes a couple of times when an alert first comes in. It was NOT designed to flash continuously. Yes, it would be nice if it would flash every 5 secs. or so, but that's now how it's spec'ed, unfortunately.

- LED does NOT flash for email notifications for some reason. All others seem to work.

Oct 20, 2011 1:42 PM in response to att sux

For Everybody Who's Having Issues With The LED FLASHING ALERT On The iPhone 4S, I May Have Promising News For You.

I Just Spent The Last Hour Or So With An Apple Support Tech, Who Then Forwarded Me To A Senior Support Person. I E-Mailed Her This Link So That She Could Research This Issue.

Long Story Short, We Eventually Went Into The Settings - General - Reset - & Reset All Settings. 3 Minutes Later Tops, I Went Back Into The Settings - General - Accessibility, & Then Turned The LED FLASH FOR ALERTS Option ON. Tested It, & IT WORKED!!!!!!!!

Tested It A Couple of More Times & It Still Works!

I WANT TO THANK THE INCREDIBLY PATIENT APPLE SUPPORT STAFF, FOR AN AWESOME JOB!!!!

The Senior Support Tech Also Requested That I Relay To All Apple Product User That Their Techs Do NOT Monitor Their Support Discussions. Sooooo, If Your Having Issues With Your Apple Product, Call 1-800-MYAPPLE, & They Will Do Their Best To Assist You With Your Problem. AND I Am Not Affiliated With Apple In Any Way. I'm In Law Enforcement!

Oct 20, 2011 2:55 PM in response to RockyMtnCop

Resetting all settings is drastic, and you'll have to set up a LOT to get everything back to the way you had it before. Resetting stuff to workaround a bug is not optimal.

I hope this isn't something that is getting corrupted often - you do not want to Reset All Settings on a regular basis.

That said, hope it is more robust in the next iOS update.

Thanks RockMtnCop for posting the workaround.

Oct 23, 2011 1:22 PM in response to att sux

I am having this problem as well, however mine worked for about a full day. Then I told a few friends and family about the LED alert. Some of theirs worked for a little bit, and some never got it to work at all. Very strange. I've done a few internet searches and it seems as if a lot of people say that it works occasionally but there is no consistency. Sounds like a bug of some sort to me.

Led flash alerts not working in iOS 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.