11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2014 4:52 AM by rubba1
Jalpuna Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

The problem: Aperture isn't syncing.  I thought this was an iPhone problem, but apparently, it's a system wide thing.  Let me explain:

I'm running Aperture 3.2, but I've had this problem for a while now - probably since upgrading to Lion.

In Aperture, I have a smart album that contains any photo I've rated five stars.  Currently, there are 180 photos in it.  In iTunes, I've selected to sync certain things from Aperture to my iPhone.  If I click on that 5 Star smart album, it only shows that there are 21 photos.  Huh?  So, as a test, I opened iPhoto (which I never use).  In the File menu, I clicked "Show Aperture Library" and I selected my 5 Star smart album.  Sure enough, iPhoto only sees 21 photos in there.  But if I click over to Aperture, I see that smart album contains 180 images.

What's going on here?

I should also note that a search of the forums here at Apple support show lots of people have been having similar problems, but most only notice they're missing photos when they sync their iPhone.  Clearly, the problem is deeper than that.  Aperture sees 180 photos in my 5 Star smart album.  iTunes, iPhoto and my iPhone are only able to sync 21 of them?

And how weird is this?  In Aperture, I have a smart album of shots that were taken with my iPhone and rated 3 stars or higher.  There are 115 shots in that smart album.  iTunes and iPhoto only see 38.

Somewhere, for whatever reason, Aperture is telling the rest of the system that it has far fewer images than it does.  How do I figure out where the problem is and how do I fix it?

• 1. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc

OK.  I think I solved it.  Here's what I did:

In Aperture preferences > Previews.  I selected "Always".  It's important to make sure Aperture is generating previews to share with iLife, iPhone, etc.

Next, I quit Aperture.

Then, I went to my Aperture library.  For most people, it's in the Photos folder in your home on your Mac, but I moved mine years ago to a much larger hard drive.  In fact, I bought an external drive specifically for Aperture.  ANYWAY...    Go to your Aperture library.  It looks like a file.  Right Click on it and, in the menu, select "show package contents."  In there, you'll find a folder called iPod Photo Cache.  Delete it and empty your trash.

While you're at it, you might as well do the same thing for iPhoto.

Next, launch Aperture again.  In your Library within Aperture, click Photos (on mine, it's the icon beneath Projects, above Places).  Got it?  Great.  Now, in the menu, under Photos, click "Update previews for library."

Now, go to work, go to bed, just go, because this is going to take a while.

Once Aperture has generated a new preview for all of your photos, plug in your iPhone.  In iTunes, slelect your iPhone, then select the Photos tab.  Tell iTunes to sync your iPhone with something OTHER than Aperture (I chose iPhoto).  Then, tell iTunes to sync your iPhone with Aperture again.  By doing this, you're forcing iTunes to rebuild your iPod Photo Cache within Aperture.  And, this time, it should get it right.

• 2. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc
    shuttersp33d Level 4 Level 4 (1,540 points)

You should mark this as solved (even though you solved it ) to help other people experiencing this.

• 3. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc

Oops!  Thanks

• 4. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc
    Surrey Mac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Jalpuna.

You're a living saint !

I have just followed your advice & all my sync issues have gone away.

Your post solved my problems that many visits to the Mac store could'nt fix.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc
    jordiet Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I was trying to solve it by using the Aperture Library First Aid and nothing and finally your solution worked perfect!

Thanks!

2x

• 6. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc
    tgatke Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks to Jalpuna

Your workaround worked for me to until I started to use Aperture to adjust photos in several projects in Aperture. After that, Photos were missing again on my iOS devices etc., and I couldn't imagine the process on making new previews for all my 25.000 photos once again. My old MBP is just too slow.

I had to see if I could find a workaround to work with only the adjusted photos which looked as the ones missing after syncing to the iOS devices (or at least just the project in which the adjusted photos are).

This example works for me for the time being:

Usually a project (let's call it "XYZ") with newly imported photos have the same number of photos in Aperture and in the event with the same name XYZ on an iOS device.

If not all photos sync between Aperture and iOS (usually after adjusting photos in Aperture), I use this process, which I found out to use after adjusting several photos:

• When I adjust a photo I let Aperture automatically make the adjustments in a new version and let the versions stay in a stack.
    • I make sure to change the rating for all the other photos in the stack to x (9) (i.e. except the version I want on my iOS devices - yes only one and the same versions goes to all the iOS devices, I sync via iTunes).
    • After rating be sure to use the pick function on the version you want on your device (the version rated higher than x (9) - which means that the wanted version "goes to the top of the stack".
    • Now view "unrated or better" (which means your x (9) rated photos won't show)

The process from here seems to work also if by any other reason photos won't show up on the iOS device.

• Choose a project, all the photos in a project or just the photos missing in iOS, and delete the previews
    • Then generate thumbnails - this could take some time and for sure it takes time. At least if you need to do it with thousands of photos.
    • Close Aperture when all the new thumbnails and previews are generated.
    • Open iTunes and sync your iOS device. I think it works best (fastest) with the cable, but I think it should work via WiFi-sync too.

It is **** of a workaround, but it is the only way I can get all the right photos on my iOS devices after adjusting photos in Aperture.

The next coming up must be how to manage to sync back to Aperture the photos adjusted in iPhoto on the iOs devices:-)

Note: Any adjustments made to a version seems not to be deleted when deleting previews, but is kept and put back on a new generated preview.

• 7. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc
    KdlP Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks muchly, Jalpuna--I usuall hate jumping through all these geeky solutions, because people all too often leave out crucial steps that come naturally to other geeks, but not necessarily to aspiring geeks like me. You, however, not only have described a solution that works, but also put it in a step-by-step process I could follow.

• 8. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc
    brooklyngabe Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I was experiencing this exact same problem for days and none of the fixes I have found have worked for me, including the one listed here. Only un-installing Aperture allowed me to again sync my iPhoto albums individually again to my iPad2/iPhone4S. Even after re-generating the library for previews/thumbnails, as other posts have suggested to do in Aperture, I still could not see the option to select individual iPhoto Albums as it was greyed out in iTunes.

So here is the simple and odd fix that has just worked for me. When iTunes tells you: "Your Aperture Library could not be found. Open the preferences window in Aperture and enable the preference to share previews with other applications." Do just the opposite. In Aperture Preferences under Preview, with the dropdown after Share Previews with iLife and iWork: select NEVER.

Now if when you open iTunes again, and your option to select individual folders is still greyed out (as happened to me on occastion clearly) do this. Uncheck Sync Photos from iPhoto, select Keep Photos or not depending on what you want and then quit iTunes and DON'T APPLY changes. When you restart iTunes, you should now be able to select individual iPhoto albums.

I realize this doesn't give you options with syncing Aperture Projects, but hey, hopefully Apple will fix this soon.

• 9. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc
    KdlP Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Your response is a marvel of detail--and I'm equally marvelling at the generous effort it took to go into so much detail. Which, by the way, I need. So, thank you. I'll work my way up to your solution after my morning cuppa one of these days.

• 10. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc
    richosad Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Great advise ! I've been struggling with this issue for over a year after moving my iPhoto library to Aperture. Thanks a lot for your post.

• 11. Re: Aperture not syncing with iPhone, iLife, iTunes, etc
    rubba1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

ok this post seems to be the most closely related to my problem, so I thought I'd post what my fix was:

I have a library with thousands of files, mostly referenced, and some (the icloud synced ones) in the library.

The problem was that I kept having only about half of my pics syncing with my iphone compared to the number that Aperture says are really in each folder.

What I did to fix it was:

1. select all photos in the library

2. open 'File' -> 'Locate referenced files'

3. confirm the path of each of the groups of files.

It turns out that although the files didn't show up as a being Offline, their path had been replaced from my network volume to my local volume.

I just repointed one file, clicked 'Reconnect All' and then everything worked again.