Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MobileMe to iCloud problems

I set up my Apple ID years ago using my earthlink email address. I started using .mac then mobileme when it came out, so I have a @.mac / @.me email address. I just upgraded my iPod and Mac to use iCloud, but I can't get anything to sync correctly. The biggest problem is that iCloud won't let me sync email. It asks me to choose a new .me email address. I don't want to. I want to use the one I already have, but it won't let me. It tells me that it is already in use - duh, it's in use by me. How do I resolve this issue? I also can't get my iCal to sync now. It was syncing fine with mobileme, but now when I create an event on my Mac, nothing happens on my iPod. I have the "!" showing next to my calendars and it says that mobileme is not available. Again duh, why won't it use iCloud? Any ideas?

iPod touch, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 7:32 PM

7 replies

Oct 12, 2011 9:25 PM in response to BigManCharlotte

I have the same problem with email. In the iCloud system preference pane, I click "Mail & Notes" and it prompts me to enter an @me.com address, and if I enter my original one, it says it is "already taken." If I go to the MobileMe system preference pane, it says "You can move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to iCloud" and offers a button that says "Move to iCloud...". Clicking that button takes me to http://me.com/find/, which tells me, "To use Find My iPhone, go to icloud.com. You can now use this account to log in to iCloud. No change is required for your devices." But of course, when I log into icloud.com and click on the mail icon, it tells me "@me.com Address Needed. To use iCloud Mail, create an @me.com email address by turning on Mail in your iCloud settings using iOS or OS X." And I'm back where I started. AAAAAGH!!! The language the system uses is so confident that this is a hassle-free experience ("No change is required for your devices!") which makes it all the more frustrating.

Oct 12, 2011 11:57 PM in response to BigManCharlotte

I am in a similar place.I noticed in System Preferences that I now have an iCloud account and a MobileMe account. iCloud has every box checked off except Mail. If I click it, I am prompted to create a .me email, and it won't let me use my own user name (as described above). When I go to iCloud.com (logging in with my Apple ID) of course Mail doesn't work, but I also have no events syncing with my calendar. My contacts look perfect.

Back in the System Preferences, I click MobileMe and it says, "This is not your primary iCloud account. Only your primary account can use Bookmarks, Photo Stream, Find My Mac, or iCloud Storage." So it has Mail, contacts and calendars as checked options. I can go back to iCloud.com and log in with my .me info, and I can access my .me email as well as my calendar with all events. Only there my contacts are totally blank. So it looks like my iCloud services are split between my main account, created with my Apple ID, and a "non-primary" account created with my MobileMe info. Not exactly the seamless experience I was hoping for!

Mar 4, 2012 6:37 PM in response to BigManCharlotte

Not sure what I did, but after syncing phone and desktop computer with the usb cord and after closing and re-opening the control panel, suddenly I stopped getting the request to "choose a .me address" and it worked.

Had the same problem with the laptop and it also unexpectedly worked after several failed attempts. But with the laptop I didn't sync anything with usb, but perhaps closing the control panel and then opening it somehow helped. I'm befuddled.

Mar 4, 2012 11:40 PM in response to BigManCharlotte

When migrating from MobileMe you need to sign in at System Preferences>iCloud with your MobileMe email address. Many people have two Apple IDs, one for itunes (which may well be an email address from another provider) and one created when they signed up for MobileMe - your MobileMe email address is an Apple ID of itself,w hich is why you can't add it to another ID.

Though it may not be the explanation in all cases, signing in to iCloud with the ID you use for iTunes, if it's different from thue @me.com address, just because it's an Apple ID, will produce the results described.

If you have signed in with something other than the @me.com address, sign out and sign in again with it.

MobileMe to iCloud problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.