Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted files from Photo booth

Hi,

By mistake, I selected all the pictures - approximately 350 - (from the app and not the folder) of photo booth and clicked on the ''x''. I did Command+Z, they appeared again and I took other pictures and quit the software.

When i opened it again, only random pictures (some from 2 years ago) - less than 10 - where there and i can't find the others !! They are not in the Photo Booth folder, not in the trash, nowhere...

So i installed Stellar Photo Recevery, launched the scan and i took 2 days to scan my hard drive. It found 180GB of files, movies, pictures and sounds.

I found only a few pictures (less than 10) and i had to pay like $40 to recover them...

So i tried Data rescue 3, and it didn't even find recent pictures...i really don't understand how i could find/recover them. So many memories... 😟

The two softwares found some pictures from 2 years ago and almost none from few hours/days ago...

What should i do ?

Thank you for your help!

Loudo

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 8:31 PM

15 replies

Oct 13, 2011 4:28 PM in response to Loudo

It's possible that the missing pictures are still lurking in a hidden directory that Photo Booth uses for files on their way to being permanently deleted. Examine the contents of

/private/var/folders/xV/ [random string] /-Tmp-/com.apple.PhotoBooth/IntermediateTrashDirectory

But let me warn you that the folder may not exist or it may be empty. Under normal operating conditions, Photo Booth shunts files from IntermediateTrashDirectory to Trash, then cleans up after itself.

Where are those ten old pictures that do show up in PB? In your Pictures/Photo Booth folder? There's nothing else in that folder?

And just to verify: You're using 10.6.8 and Photo Booth 3.0.3?

Oct 13, 2011 5:09 PM in response to mns579

Yes, it's 10.6.8 and 3.0.3 for PB.

How can i reach this : /private/var/folders/xV/ [random string] /-Tmp-/com.apple.PhotoBooth/IntermediateTrashDirectory 😟

About the pics i have in the software, it's in the normal folder of PB : /User/Name/Pictures/PB

PS: i'm about to update my OSX SL to Lion in a few days (with a clean install)...so i guess i won't be able to find them then...right?

Oct 13, 2011 7:14 PM in response to Loudo

Two ways:

1. Click on the Desktop, Go > Go to Folder . . .

Type /private/var/folders/xV/ and then click the "Go" button.

Select the first long folder named with a long random string--it will be called something like xVQyXhFR3SDRa1Qk+1YghB5++++TI.

Continue navigating deeper to the -Tmp- folder, then to com.apple.PhotoBooth/IntermediateTrashDirectory (if it exists).

You may have multiple folders with long random names in /private/var/folders/xV/. You'll want to go through each one in search of IntermediateTrashDirectory.

2. If you have EasyFind (or a similar non-Spotlight search app) installed, just search for the hidden folder called IntermediateTrashDirectory.

I have no idea whether such a folder would survive an upgrade to Lion. I wouldn't think so. Even in Snow Leopard, the folder is supposed to be only a temporary holding area.

Oct 14, 2011 1:26 AM in response to mns579

I have two folders : one called 7K and the other one zz...

In 7k there is a folder called 7KBDxD3wGAmaaQadm1DcN++++TI with a photobooth folder but the IntermediateTrashDirectory is empty...

It seems I have no choice! 😟

I really don't understand though, almost on every software or even the finder, you have to delete twice, and with photo booth, one mistake and it's over...

Oct 14, 2011 5:46 AM in response to Loudo

Photo Booth's operation is idiosyncratic in many ways. That's another thread.

To recap:

1. There is no backup (I assume).

2. Missing PB files aren't in Pictures/Photo Booth.

3. Missing PB files aren't in the Trash.

4. IntermediateTrashDirectory is empty.

5. Data recovery software hasn't found the files.

I think you've exhausted your direct recovery options. Indirectly, if you mailed any of these photos to others, you may be able to recover them from your Sent mail folder (in Mail) or the equivalent in other mail applications.

Mar 8, 2014 8:27 AM in response to mns579

It is unbelievable to me that Apple allowed virtually permanent deletion of data with one click. Goes against all rules and common sense. Wht not just have the pics go into the Trash folder? I hope this has been fixed in subsequent OS's. I'm still on SL, and will be extra vigilant after reading this.

Mar 28, 2015 10:21 PM in response to mns579

Does this still apply to the current macbook air computer and updated versions? I understand that when something is deleted, it is still on your computer, but it only takes up space until something else takes its place. Is it possible to recover photo booth images that were deleted about a month ago? Someone had deleted pictures without my knowledge, and when I went to look for them, they are no longer there. It ***** that I just found out and I'm hoping that there is a way...? 😟 I found the folder that you said before (IntermediateTrashDirectory) and it was empty. To test it, I deleted a picture, emptied my trash, and looked again for the folder and it was still empty.. so I'm not quite understanding how this works. You seem knowledgable, can you please help?

Oct 23, 2015 6:13 AM in response to Loudo

As already suggeted : use time machine to avoid the accidental delete stress.

Navigate via Finder to Pictures, select "Photo Booth-Library". Via Right click "Show packet content". This is the location of the lost pictures/movies. Now open time machine and go back to a date in the past before the delete. Select the missing files and put them back.

If you keep your drive branched you have plenty of time to recover any deleted file.

Deleted files from Photo booth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.