Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -43 in backup when upgrading to iOS5

I have iPhone 3GS and when upgrading from 4.3.5 to iOS 5 I am getting error -43User uploaded file

I canceled and started agan - same problem.

Help!

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.3.5

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 9:30 PM

I am having the exact same problem. Tried rebooting to no avail. On same computer upgraded my iPad 2 without an issue.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.3.5
Windows 7 64-bit iTunes 10.5

13 replies

Oct 13, 2011 1:31 AM in response to Tulir

The only solution that I've found was here

http://gizmodo.com/5849160/the-complete-guide-to-updating-to-ios-5&rct=j&sa=X&ei =bnaWTrPYKYekmQXR9_WFAg&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQ-AsoADAA&q=iphone+ios+5+error+-43+when+ba ckup&usg=AFQjCNGGVjsr_rky-tiplqdj-1fBfXofPA

and here

http://www.macworld.com/article/162925/2011/10/how_to_upgrade_your_ios_device_to _ios_5.html&rct=j&sa=X&ei=bnaWTrPYKYekmQXR9_WFAg&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q-AsoATAA&q=iphon e+ios+5+error+-43+when+backup&usg=AFQjCNEBBPx-ymDJPGPd-sBy8TZ1dDTbeQ

by:

1. Doing backup.

2. Using the Restore button and following the

All works fine now and all the settings are there.

BTW: it took over 2 hours to restre and that is with lots of apps and without songs, phothos and movies... that I removed before.Gizmo link above.

Oct 13, 2011 6:28 AM in response to Tulir

I tried last night and again today and still getting the (-43) message. Shouldn't have to do with server should it? IOS 5 downloaded okay, it's just a problem backing up. If I right click in the device pane and select back up it does it okay. Wondering if I can continue past the error message as long as I know device is backed up?

Oct 13, 2011 3:03 PM in response to Tulir

Did the upgrade last night on my 32GB 4th Gen iPod Touch and it worked just fine. Immediately after I attempted it on the wife's 8GB 4th Gen iPod Touch and keep getting the -43 error. After several attempts I figured it was a server problem and gave up for the night. I've just tried it again, three times and am still getting the error...

Oct 13, 2011 4:18 PM in response to Tulir

I followed link from Gizmodo and it helped.First time no problem.Yesterday 3 times error -43

I'm using PC so I had to DL icloud manually I could not even sing to it,but it was on PC, tooo busy,then backed up iphone manually end then install.I ignored message -43,and installed new Ios5.After install restored info from 4 version

Oct 13, 2011 6:55 PM in response to Tulir

I know this sounds counterintuitive, but select "delete restore" I you have run a "sync" in the recent past all of your info is saved, so canceling the restore is a non-issue. After you select delete restore, you will be able to sync with itunes and get all of your music and apps, and etc. I posted this yesterday after several tries to get the thing to work, search "pro bowler" and look for error 34. The same problem in these posts sounds alot like ours in that board, except many of you are windows users.

Feb 12, 2012 5:06 PM in response to Tulir

I have an I phone 4 that won't accept the upgrade without responding with the -43 error. Am I understanding you guys right ? Are you saying if you choose to continue, even though it says you will lose everything on your phone, that you can recover everything from your back up off of I tunes ? I was hoping their next update would fix this bug but they haven't come out with another yet. Apple tells me to delete I tunes from my lap top and reinstall it several times until it works. 6 and counting...

Error -43 in backup when upgrading to iOS5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.