Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iOS5 iPad 2 lag / lagging while in mirroring mode?

I just updated my iPad 2, with the latest iOS5 Update, but am having issues with mirroring... There is such a huge delay / lag, that it makes it almost impossible to play games while using it! I also updated my Apple TV, figuring it needed an update too. So, on top of the lag issue, the picture quality is so bad! I can hardly read what's on the screen right now, while typing. Plus, the screen is just a small box, while in 16 x 9 mode. Then, when you stretch the screen to wide display, it cuts off a bit of the bottom. Never did that with the AV Adapter... I really hope Apple fixes this, since it's such an important selling point.

Issues:

1) Very bad lagging.

2) Poor picture quality.

3) Very small screen, in 16x9 mode.

4) Setting TV to Wide Screen cuts off a bottom portion of the iPad 2.

Is anyone else experiencing these mirroring issues as well?

BeersYourFriend, Windows 7, BeersYourFriend

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 10:10 PM

32 replies

Oct 17, 2011 10:32 AM in response to BeersYourFriend

Information has been only slowly creeping in about real world experiences with iPad 2 mirroring on the official IOS 5 so there's not a ton to go on with this problem and I can't find a link that explains how mirroring even works (technically that is, not how to enable it). I have an iPad 2 on iOS 5 and 2 current gen ATV's on the latest 4.4 OS, 1 in an upstairs bedroom and 1 in the downstairs living room in my home (where the Internet connection ingresses). The downstairs setup works pretty much as you've seen in all the sneak peek previews over the last year, in other words quite well and impressively. However the upstairs setup is 100% unusable due to absurd amounts of latency, frame rate and audio dropout. Even just browsing around in the OS is unusable, never mind playing games or runnng other apps. Interestingly, if I take the upstairs ATV and swap it into the downstairs setup, works just fine so I know it's not the ATV itself. This polar opposite performance really has me scratching my head.

Things I've tried for process of elimination:

-factory reset and restore of the ATV

-turn off all other electronics in the room

-swap the hdmi cable

-move the iPad and ATV around the room (as much as possible anyway)

None of this made any discernible difference which leaves me with only one conclusion as to what the problem could be: the WiFi (I'm using pure g). There's no question that the signal strength getting to my upstairs is weaker (usually a bar less on iPhone or iPad) but the ATV itself reports 5 of 5 bars so I don't really know what gives here plus streaming from Netflix works perfectly. It's a real shame I can only use mirroring in 1 room of the house after investing in 2 ATV's so I'm hoping more information will be forthcoming as people troubleshoot this further.

Oct 17, 2011 11:41 AM in response to drekkerd

While network quality could cause problems, it shouldn't effect such poor performance, to this extent. For example... I have an Xbox 360 running on wireless G, and can play games fine. Does mirroring really surpass a consoles hunger for wireless data? I just feel like there is a way to address the issues. Not by people trying to move around the house, to get a better signal... Why not use Bluetooth + Wireless, to get a better connection / signal?

I'm not talking directly to Drekkerd, but more towards Apple...

If Apple wants to advertise that the iPhone 4S, and iPad 2 can mirror to the TV, then they need to work to address the problem. Period!

Don't say, "You can mirror to your TV"... Oh, and but by the way, "You must have an absolute perfect N network router, for optimal mirroring erformance." LOL!

I really hope there is an Update soon, or people are going to be extremely disappointed!

Anyone agree with me?

Oct 17, 2011 11:43 AM in response to BeersYourFriend

Update: by taking my issue to the extreme and literally standing out in the hall with my iPad (where the WiFi signal is a tad stronger) I can just about eliminate the above problem with mirroring. So it seems to me the unfortunate situation for those of you with a single ATV and massive mirroring lag is either you rearrange your setup so there's less obstruction between the ATV, iPad and WiFi gateway (walls and so forth)...or get a ridculously powerful WiFi gateway....or both. Perhaps in time Apple can tweak things to be a little more forgiving. Anyone with this issue seen drastic success moving to a pure n setup?

Oct 17, 2011 1:12 PM in response to BeersYourFriend

Ok, I just plugged my AppleTV directly to my router, and am seeing Much Better Performance!!! Speed-wise Only... The picture still does not look crystal clear, but I'll have to admit, it does look a touch better... So, if you want to see improvement in AirPlay, then you really need to have your AppleTV it connected directly to your modem / router. Thx James, for the hint... LOL! Just forgot that it had an Ethernet port on the back, haha!

BUT, many people do not have the option of directly connecting their AppleTV, since most use it wirelessly. So, to those people, Apple should tweak the performance. It's just not fair. If you can stream a Netflix movie, in 1080p, then why not stream the AirPlay to that same level?

Pro. USE ETHERNET CONNECTION ONLY...

Con. BAD PERFORMANCE WIRELESSLY...

Thanks Guys!

Oct 17, 2011 3:16 PM in response to BeersYourFriend

Yes precisely, I've no way hardwire my ATV to my Internet connection but no doubt that would solve everything (just as using the AV adapter for mirroring instead of an ATV would). It's interesting though that you optimized the 'ATV to WiFi leg' of the connection and saw great improvement while I was optimizing the 'iPad to Wifi' leg (as I really had no other choice anyway). I guess the take home message is the same though, mirroring is incredibly sensitive to less than optimal WiFi networks. Even with decent signal strength and lots of bandwidth (I get 13-15 Mb speed tests in my upstairs) if there's a lot of distance and obstacles (walls, etc) it can really play havoc with mirroring.

Oct 17, 2011 4:22 PM in response to drekkerd

Yeah, I was more focused on the Apple TV's wifi performance, than my iPad 2... Haha! I have seen a better performance against lag, by hooking the AppleTV straight to a router. Still, as I look at the picture quality, it's not a huge difference. So, your not alone... I'm talking very little improvement! Could be placebo from tweaking with this thing, or what. I'd say the picture is 10% better... If that... While performance is more important, to get rid of lag, quality of the picture needs to be better! A whole lot better, or this whole wireless mirroring thing has been an utter failure, by Apple!

I would rather use my AV Connector kit, than wirelessly mirroring any day!

Apple, please fix this!

Oct 18, 2011 7:05 AM in response to drekkerd

I do not believe it is the wifi. My setup is: Main house has cable modem with built in wifi and 6 port lan. One those lan ports is a run to the guest house and connected to a 24 port cisco switch and from the switch I have port 2 going to linksys wireless router. My 3 Tivo's, AV Reciever, Apple TV, TV, Set Top Box, Xbox 360, PS3 and my Nas server all are connected to the switch. So when you are in the back yard or my guest room you can get wifi from the linksys (running in gateway mode).

So sitting in my room 8 feet from the linksys router and mirroring to the apple tv ethernet connected I had very bad lag. When I play Dungeon Hunter on the Ipad 2 it will randomly drop video or audio and other times it will lag 30 sec behind what is on the ipad 2 and what you see on the TV. I think moving your stuff around you are getting the perception it is less laggy.

PS. drekkerd you know who this is right. (nendain)

Why does my iOS5 iPad 2 lag / lagging while in mirroring mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.