Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tips for quicker,seamless iOS5 upgrade

Entire iOS5 upgrade for my iPad2 took grand total of 19 minutes with no errors (not including download time). Everyone feel free to add more tips to help others out.

-- Download the big update file first instead of doing everything all at once. In itunes, go to Help, Check Updates, Download Only.

-- Delete all movies/videos first as they take up the most space during the backup/restore process. You can always copy them back later.

-- Make sure the usb cable is literally connected to the BACK of your computer, and not some extended hub/panel/monitor.

iPhone 3G, iPad 2, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 10:20 PM

5 replies

Oct 12, 2011 10:28 PM in response to rimshaker

Glad to hear you had no problems! I on the other hand;

-Updated my computer(twice, what's up with that?)

-Cleared everything off my iPad after syncing & back-up

-Only downloaded iOS 5

-plugged in directly to the back of my iMac

-Reset everything

-Updated iTunes

-Restarted my computer at least 3 times

Not necessarily in that order, still getting an error with no code. The only thing I haven't done is the restore to factory, which I will be doing tonight.

Oct 12, 2011 10:45 PM in response to rimshaker

Hello All,

I gaze in wonderment once more at the Apple-mania which has gripped the Apple-world once more! Did nobody learn from their Lion experience?

My 'top tip' for ensuring a frustration free iOS 5 download experience is to forget it for now.

Allow the 'sheep' to clog up the Apple servers for a week or so before enjoying a fuss free download experience.

In the intervening days ensure that all those elements on your system which make up the iOS 5 package are running with the latest updates, i.e. Lion, iTunes, iPhoto, etc.

Now chill out, allow Apple to sort out the iOS 5 bugs and the servers to cool down, good luck!

Oct 12, 2011 11:55 PM in response to rimshaker

The key problem I had during my iOS 5 update was in fact the firewall.

I kept getting the errors 3200 and 3014.

My computer is hiding behind three firewalls, and once I had turned them off, the iOS 5 update worked just fine.

Apple needs to access the ports 80 and 443 during the update, but these ports are usually closed by most firewalls.

Tips for quicker,seamless iOS5 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.