Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA 13" screen brightness fluctuation?

Working on a mid-2011 MBA 13" 128GB machine I notice what appears to be a fluctuation in the screen brightness. It's periodic, and could be my imagination, but I'll be sitting here typing a msg (as into this blank box) and there seems to be a surge and then a etracement in the overall brightness of the screen, the whole change taking maybe 2 seconds, maybe less. It's a gradual all-over brightening followed by a decrease in brightness to what I assume was the original.

Has anyone else seen this or anything like it? It's fairly subtle, which is why I wonder if I'm seeing it at all.

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 3:59 AM

Is it the automatic brightness adjustment kicking in? If there is a change in the brightness of the room (sun goes behind a cloud - that kind of thing) the screen will try and compensate.

Does it still seem to be happening if you switch off auto brightness adjustment? (System Preferences->Displays)

If the problem goes away then consider keeping it switched off.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2011 3:59 AM in response to Pier Rodelon

Is it the automatic brightness adjustment kicking in? If there is a change in the brightness of the room (sun goes behind a cloud - that kind of thing) the screen will try and compensate.

Does it still seem to be happening if you switch off auto brightness adjustment? (System Preferences->Displays)

If the problem goes away then consider keeping it switched off.

Dec 4, 2011 11:02 AM in response to Pier Rodelon

I am experiencing the same problem. In fact, yesterday, it was extremely annoying. I was getting quite extreme changes in brightness and it was fluctuating almost constantly. Extremely annoying. The ambient light situation was not changing at all, totally static. However, I was sitting beside a window and it was pretty bright outside. Today, the problem is not happening or at least, it's suble enough that it's not bugging me.

Aug 6, 2012 9:18 PM in response to dstaten

No, that's not the solution (at least for me). I have unchecked the box for auto-adjusting. My screen brightness keeps fluctuating. I have the Preference Panel open with slider visible while I'm working on the plane, and I can literally see the slider moving up and down periodically. It is adjusting itself for some reason when the Preference is set not to adjust itself. Highly annoying! Any other suggestions out there?

Aug 7, 2012 12:57 AM in response to dstaten

... Duh....that's because Mark's (very obvious) solution doesn't solve the problem. There may be issues with certain environments (eg, aircraft, temperature) that seem to aggrevate this issue. My only solution was to run the battery to zero, recharge and restart. That seemed to bring things back to an equilibrium, but that's hardly a solution.

May 21, 2014 2:59 PM in response to Pier Rodelon

I see this thread -- although old -- remains not-quite-resolved.

I happened across it this morning while researching my own MacBook Air's spookily fluctuating display brightness levels.

Eventually, i moved on to another issue, which had made itself far more pressing: the fact that my MacBook wasn't charging. Stepping through the Support page to here:

http://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookair/batteries_power/

...i clicked to here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Following that page's instructions to, "Unplug the MagSafe power adapter from the Mac and the wall power socket for several seconds .... Shutdown the Mac. Physically remove and re-insert the battery (if it's removable) and startup the Mac," my MacBook Air seems to be charging alright now.

I continued reading through the article, and that's when i learned that the fluctuating display brightness may actually be an "Indicator" that a System Management Controller (SMC) reset may be necessary ... or, in my case, can be averted by removing the power adapter, shutting down, and starting up.

I hope that anyone who happens across this thread -- as i did this morning -- might find my (accidental) research helpful.

MBA 13" screen brightness fluctuation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.