Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Pro beeping on startup + showing progress bar

Hi;

Yesterday I bought my new 13inch MacBook Pro. When I came to turn it on this morning, it first made a beep sound; then it showed the Apple logo with a progress bar under it. The bar made no progress, suddenly it rebooted again but without making any sound, and the Apple logo re-showed again with the bar. This happeded 3 times before the Mac booted.

Any ideas?

Please help, I am new to Mac, and I'm Lovin' It.

Thank you.

Elias.

iPod touch, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 3:16 AM

4 replies

Sep 14, 2018 1:08 PM in response to vea1083

It is true; the past day I had updated my software and I turned it off. This all started happening the next day. I understand that it might be updating the EFI firmware, I remember I did install it; but the problem is that it happened twice in a row (I shut down the computer and re-turned it on again) and the same things happened. But it never happened again. I just wanted to know that my new MB is OK. (I am new to Mac and not familiar with MB beeping at startup, is it normal?).

Thank you.

Oct 13, 2011 9:20 PM in response to Community User

eliasfromnewyork wrote:

It is true; the past day I had updated my software and I turned it off. This all started happening the next day. I understand that it might be updating the EFI firmware, I remember I did install it; but the problem is that it happened twice in a row (I shut down the computer and re-turned it on again) and the same things happened. But it never happened again. I just wanted to know that my new MB is OK. (I am new to Mac and not familiar with MB beeping at startup, is it normal?).

Thank you.

If the issue got fixed that means that the MacBook was updating its EFI. The "bong" sound is normal at start up, however the "beep" sound will be heard only when the EFI is update or has a problem.

New Macbook Pro beeping on startup + showing progress bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.