Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown error (1630)

Hello,

I have just upgraded my iphone 4 to iOS 5.

I did this on my Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.8 latest version).

Now whenever I connect the iPhone to my laptop and click 'Check for Update' in iTunes I get the following message:

iTunes could not check for an update to the carrier settings for your iPhone. An unknown error occured (1630).

I am currently based in Algiers (Algeria) but never had this issue before using local sim cards (Carrier DZA NEDJMA).

When I switch Airplane Mode to ON and Check for Update it works but it might be a bug that needs fixing in iOS 5 especially as it used to work under iOS 4 without having to turn on Airplane Mode.

Has anyone incountered this issue? Any solutions?

Many thanks,

T

iPhone4, iOS 4, Macbook Pro

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 3:31 AM

16 replies

Nov 18, 2011 11:36 AM in response to T Yahiaoui

My iDevice is a 32GB iPhone 3GS. It used to be on ios4.2.1 and was working perfectly. It is open line. I am using a prepaid sim card on it. I am using the current iTunes 10.5.1(42).

I decided to update it to the latest one last night November 18 2011. I am not a neophyte with jailbreaking and this sorts. I've tried every possible way. Still my phone is stuck in loading circle. iTunes is recognizing the phone though. I restored it as a new phone but still stuck in loading circle. Tried DFU. Tried restoring in earlier back ups. Tried downgrading (which is impossible) So I really don't know where to go from here... My phone is already out of Warranty but it was a perfect working phone until I upgraded to iOS5.0.1

Since I read a post from here that apple has been bombarded by problems regarding iOS 5... I think this is a fault on them... It was supposed to be USER FRIENDLY.

Nov 24, 2011 12:15 PM in response to T Yahiaoui

I am having the same issue here in Thailand. It started after I upgraded my SIM card to access the new HSPA network (True H 3G). This is with the same carrier that I bought my iPhone 4 from last year. I am thinking that it has something to do with the new SIM card but it could also be from the IOS 5.0.1 update since these two changes occured about the same time.

Dec 4, 2011 9:12 AM in response to T Yahiaoui

I'm in HK too and just experienced the same problem after updating to 5.0.1. After update I got the error 1630 message and itunes did not recognize my iphone. Unpluged the iphone and restarted the PC. After restart itunes could detect my iphone again. It seems to work fine exept if I press the "check update" button the 1630 error message will occure. Any fix on this yet?

Unknown error (1630)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.