Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Port Back to My Mac After iCloud

Before iCloud, I can see my Home Time Capsule from my office via Back to my Mac (Network).

Now I can't, but I can see the other Mac computer at my Home.

Do I need to do any setting with my Airport Utility for the Port Mapping ?

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 4:15 AM

73 replies

Oct 13, 2011 10:05 AM in response to Mitch 751

As far as I know (unfortunately I have not tested it to be sure) your MobileMe account and BtmM functionality for your Time Capsule should NOT have changed ... as Apple will be supporting MobileMe until next year. I just tried configuring my TC for BtmM and it accepted the change. As soon as I get a chance I will attempt to test connectvity from a remote location.

The fact that BtmM appears to be working for your Mac should indicate that this service is still viable.

Oct 13, 2011 4:21 PM in response to Mitch 751

I am concerned about the same issue. I can usually see remote computers and Time Machine drives in the Shared section of the sidebar; now only local ones.

In addition, I usually have a long list of friends' and clients' Airport Extreme, Express and Time Capsule devices in my Airport Utility. Now all I have is the three here in the local network.

It seems to be specific to 10.7.2 and the iCloud preference pane?

I can still see the list of remote devices in the Airport Utility on my machines that are still running 10.6.x, even though the devices are registered with an account that I have migrated to the iCloud service.

Here's to hoping an update somewhere will rectify this.

Oct 14, 2011 1:39 PM in response to YoungIn

Apparently this isn't possible. This was never discussed publicly before the iCloud launch. All that was said was Back to my Mac would continue working. I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything, even after the iCloud launch. Made the switch, my AirPort started yelling at me because of MobileMe credentials. I've been waiting for an AirPort update but have still been digging. Just found this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4867

Talk about a footnote. This should have its own article, not be like, "Oh everything will still work great! ... ... ...

Except for AirPort disk sharing."

I'm not too happy about this. Anyone else?

Oct 17, 2011 9:21 AM in response to Mitch 751

Same problem for me, but I realised they removed this too late, after I already upgraded from MobileMe to iCloud.

I posted about this on another thread already (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3102139?answerId=16418048022#16418048022) as this removal makes me quite angry, reducing the value of a product that I only bought a year ago with the intention of extensively using this AirDisk sharing.

What makes me so angry though is that Back to My Mac was listed prominantly on their transition page (http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html) as being part of iCloud, leading me to trust that this meant this feature as well. They should have added AT LEAST a footnote to that page mentioning that not ALL of Back to My Mac would make it...

😠

Please send your feedback about this to Apple so they might reconsider: http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Message was edited by: MJRasoBarnett

Oct 17, 2011 9:31 AM in response to MJRasoBarnett

I returned my previous router earlier this year (Linksys professional) and bought the time capsule precisely for the reason that accessing the disks was possible, easily. To put it simply "it just worked.". Now, not so much... Seems more of a PC complicated work around to access my time capsule now.... Hopefully this will be a quick fix for Apple and a time capsule firmware update is in the works.

Oct 17, 2011 9:04 PM in response to terryfromhoboken

Too bad that doesn't mean anything. It's not a connection issue right now, it's a software issue. They changed their service and everything has needed software updates to be compatible with it. Even their mail servers for IMAP email have changed. But AirPorts and Time Capsules have not been updated. It should just be a little tiny update to change the servers they contact to say, "Hey, I'm here! And I have these disks." Who knows why they haven't done it already?

I have hope that they aren't leaving us in the dust. They haven't said (other than that one hidden article) that they aren't going to do it. And both AirPort and Time Capsule are still advertising this feature on their Store pages. Maybe just part of a gradual roll out of iCloud features so they don't overload their servers more than they already are? (I'm getting email connection troubles several times a day.)

Airport Port Back to My Mac After iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.