Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Under shared Disks connected to Airport Extremes gone after iCloud

I have a lot of sites around the country and we use disks connected to airport extremes. Then our employees who needed access had their mobileme accounts added to the airport extremes, and the disks showed up under shared on their mac finder. Since moving to iCloud these disks no longer show up. Reentering the mobileme accounts doesn't help solve it.

Will there be support for this funtion in iCloud?

If there currently is have I missed how to do it?

Or is it possible this was overlooked and will be added later?

Additionally when using Airport Utility we can no loger see all Airport Extremes across our organization, but only the local one. This is alos a huge issue for maintenance and security settings as we service them remotely, such as adding MAC addresses etc.

Many Thanks

MacBook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 2.53Ghz 8GB Ram 80GB iPod Several PCs XP

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 4:16 AM

5 replies

Oct 14, 2011 1:38 PM in response to YoungIn

Apparently this isn't possible. This was never discussed publicly before the iCloud launch. All that was said was Back to my Mac would continue working. I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything, even after the iCloud launch. Made the switch, my AirPort started yelling at me because of MobileMe credentials. I've been waiting for an AirPort update but have still been digging. Just found this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4867

Talk about a footnote. This should have its own article, not be like, "Oh everything will still work great! ... ... ...

Except for AirPort disk sharing."

I'm not too happy about this.

Oct 19, 2011 2:12 PM in response to Marc Hanna

Excellent point. I was also temporarily very frustrated when my time capsule disks were not remotely availalbe as they were pre-iCloud. Following your advice, all I had to do was to go to "Airport Utility>Disks>FileSharing" and enable "Share disks over WAN". I then retrieved my fixed IP address from the "Airport Utility>Summary" tab... opened the Finder and selected "Go>Connect to server" and entered the IP address. Note that you can use a service like dyndns for the DNS resolution if you have a dynamic IP address. It asked me to select a disk to connect on the time capsule... and then immediately added my Time Capsule into the Finder side bar just as it had been pre-iCloud. I can now access my iTunes and shared files remotely again. Thanks : )

Oct 25, 2011 4:06 PM in response to YoungIn

Here is a solution posted on another request for the same information and this is the solution. So go to System Preferences > Mobile Me> siwtch Back to my Mac OFF and ON and then it is all working again.

Happy Days!!

This thread was helpful, I'm having the same problem. So far I have migrated 3 of 4 MobileMe accounts to iCloud. I have a small business with two locations, all mac and mac routers. Prior to iCloud I enjoyed the benefits of a virtual private network (I could see computers, printers, shared folders on any computer from anywhere in the world)...

I tried something silly simple. In the system preferences for iCloud, I unchecked Back to my Mac, I was prompted to enter the Administrator password and I did. I then re-checked back to my mac, this notified me with a 'starting ...' message. I proceeded to do this on all of the computers in both locations and right now this is working.

What's not clear to me is what will happen when the last account is migrated to iCloud. I'm superstitious, but thankkful to have a partial solution.

Hope this hels a few of you.

Under shared Disks connected to Airport Extremes gone after iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.