Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Apple ID to @me.com E-mail Address?

I am currently using an @gmail.com e-mail address as my Apple ID.

Now that I have an iCloud @me.com e-mail address, I would like to use this as my Apple ID, removing all references to Google.

I tried to make this change in iTunes on my Mac, by going to Store > View My Account > View Account > Edit Apple ID, but it didn't work. It wouldn't let me replace my @gmail.com e-mail address with an @me.com e-mail address. Here's the error message iTunes gave me:

User uploaded file

Can this not be done? Is it impossible?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) 12GB RAM

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 3:13 AM

While you can't currently change your Apple ID to a Mobile/iCloud email address, I found a solution that helps with a related problem.

Suppose you've recently got an iCloud email address, but Apple are still sending all your iTunes Store, App Store and Mac App Store receipts to your old gmail address (the one that's still your Apple ID). And suppose they're also sending all the Apple Support Communities notifcation emails to your old gmail address. How do you change it? How do you fix it?

Well the option exists, but it is hidden away in a weird place. To get Apple sending all of their receipts and notifications to your new iCloud email address...

• Go to your country's Apple Store website http://store.apple.com/

• Click on the Account button in the top-right corner

• Under Account Settings, click on Change your default shipping or billing info

• Sign in with your usual Apple ID and password

• The email address listed under Payment Information is the key

• Click on Edit next to Payment Information and change that email address to your iCloud address

That's all you have to do.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2011 3:13 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

While you can't currently change your Apple ID to a Mobile/iCloud email address, I found a solution that helps with a related problem.

Suppose you've recently got an iCloud email address, but Apple are still sending all your iTunes Store, App Store and Mac App Store receipts to your old gmail address (the one that's still your Apple ID). And suppose they're also sending all the Apple Support Communities notifcation emails to your old gmail address. How do you change it? How do you fix it?

Well the option exists, but it is hidden away in a weird place. To get Apple sending all of their receipts and notifications to your new iCloud email address...

• Go to your country's Apple Store website http://store.apple.com/

• Click on the Account button in the top-right corner

• Under Account Settings, click on Change your default shipping or billing info

• Sign in with your usual Apple ID and password

• The email address listed under Payment Information is the key

• Click on Edit next to Payment Information and change that email address to your iCloud address

That's all you have to do.

Change Apple ID to @me.com E-mail Address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.