Skip navigation

Safari 5.1.1 running very slowly

1390 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2011 9:59 AM by jodyfromsanta barbara RSS
Gordon Maynard Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 13, 2011 6:18 AM

Hi, all,

Since updating to 10.7.2 last night I've found that Sarafi is running very slowly, taking up to a minute to fully load a page like the BBC news home page, compared to a few seconds on Firefox on the same machine. According ot the timeline much of the time was spent waiting for or downloading tiny images.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Regards,

Gordon.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), Running 10.7.2 (not an option)
  • pablonunez Calculating status...
    Oct 18, 2011 5:02 AM (in response to Gordon Maynard)

I´m having the same problem, but in a more serious way: Safari could take 5 minutes o mare in downloading any page, and get stocked waiting.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

• IanRid Calculating status...
    Oct 18, 2011 2:20 PM (in response to Gordon Maynard)

Yes, same here under 10.6.8 on the latest iMac – it's like having a 56k modem again. Restart made no difference but I switched off extensions and that seemed to do the trick. Not sure which extension, or extensions, is causing the problem, though. I have Click to Flash, Ultimate Status Bar and Snapper.

• Andrew No Thanks Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Oct 20, 2011 2:36 AM (in response to Gordon Maynard)

I'm having the same issue. I thought it might be my connection where I work, but it seems to be just Safari that is wading through Araldite to load every page.

I've tried a restart; repaired permissions; removed all my extensions; and zapped the P-RAM: all provide no improvement.

Switching to Friefox 'til Apple get this fixed.

• IanRid Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 20, 2011 3:40 AM (in response to Andrew No Thanks)

I spoke too soon. Switching off Extensions improves the problem but does not eliminate it. I'm in the UK, and the odd thing is that UK sites seem to load OK but US ones do not. In particular, I surf a lot of NASA sites. While the pages themselves may load, Safari often gets stuck downloading large images.

As you say, Safari is becoming unusable in such cases, whereas FF breezes through them. Definitely a Safari 5.1.1 issue, I'd say. On the plus side, though, Safari hasn't yet crashed as previous versions of 5 used to.

Thanks for letting us know it's happening to you as well!

Oct 21, 2011 12:10 PM (in response to IanRid)

Actually I spoke too soon again. It's crashed on me twice since I wrote the above note. Something still wrong somewhere.

• Tambakunda Calculating status...
    Oct 21, 2011 11:04 PM (in response to Gordon Maynard)

Same here.  Safari 5.1.1 constantly just stops working all of a sudden.  Posting this with Firefox...

Have tried everything: DNS, repairing permissions, resetting sarafi, deleting cache files (in librabry).  Nothing has solved this very annoying problem.  I've even tried just deleting Safari altogether but the Mac won't let me!

Oct 23, 2011 2:03 AM (in response to IanRid)

I am coming to the conclusion that this is not a Safari problem after all but something to do with my ISP. I am on TalkTalk in west London. Are any of you also on TalkTalk?

• iamkay Calculating status...
    Oct 23, 2011 9:46 AM (in response to Gordon Maynard)

it is flash that is causing the issue. force quit the flash plugin process at the time of the hang from the activity monitor and the pages will unfreeze

• Tambakunda Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 23, 2011 9:53 PM (in response to iamkay)

Thank you iamkay!!  Flash player was indeed the culprit.  Had to delete all my old (and never updated) adobe stuff, including flash, then reinstall the flash player, reboot and voila!

With this problem solved, I can finally browse the IKEA and Home Depot websites and get on with the bathroon reno

• jodyfromsanta barbara Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 27, 2011 5:16 PM (in response to Tambakunda)

I just discovered that by getting rid of Google software except for one email address and Notifier my

Safari 5.1.1 will work much faster and better.  No more delays. I was ready to zero out until I did this.

• jodyfromsanta barbara Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 15, 2011 9:59 AM (in response to jodyfromsanta barbara)

continuing problem, I still have to force reload often. What to do?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.