Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture driving me crazy!

I have Aperture on my iMac and my MacBook Pro. I use the laptop to download photos while shooting (so I can see them better then just on my camera). I then want to "merge" the two aperture files (all modifications to photos are done on my iMac).

Long story short - I can't seem to do this. I've tried multiple ways.

I fianally manged to get the photos into my iMac (via exporting photos from my laptop into a file on the desktop, then importing them into the iMac). Now those photos show up in the "Photos" overall - but I can't seem to get them into a Project. I create a Project - it's empty. And the new project only shows up under "Projects" NOT under the left tab "PROJECTS & ALBUMS".

What gives with this?

Lightroom and PS are looking better and better....

Rasjad

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 6:50 AM

8 replies

Oct 13, 2011 7:14 AM in response to rasjad

I think I found part of the prpoblem. I found this troubleshooting link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

ANd I think there's something messed up with the liobrary file. However, since I upgraded to version 3.2 - it keeps making me "upgrade" my library file - but actually doesn't do so (it asks me every time I start Aperture).

So I can't actually "repair" the library because it doesn't "upgrade" the file on start up. Wow - a real Catch-22

I'll have to figure out how to go back to the previous version of Aperture, then repair the file, then upgrade.

Lightroom & PS are looking better and better....

Oct 13, 2011 11:39 AM in response to rasjad

I am/was in exactly your same situation. My library is somehow messed up and I tried to repair it, but it didn’t work because of the library upgrade.

You reminded me I could try and downgrade to the previous version - I use Time Machine for this.

I just restored Aperture from a few days ago and the command+option combo worked now!

Lets just hope this manages to repair the library... will keep you updated.

Also, if you do not have a backup of the Aperture app, you could try a simple re-install from the Aperture CD. I hope this helps...

Chris

Oct 13, 2011 8:04 PM in response to SierraDragon

Super helpful Allen. About as useful as my response to you right? He did actually ask a question to which two other folks did try to help. Unlike yourself. I am rarely on these boards but I clicked on his post wondering if I could help. Perhaps his title didn't fit the criteria of what a Level 4 user prefers but your response didn't fit the criteria of what this Level 1 or 0, or whatever number I'm at, prefers either. People come here for help and you just want to nitpick.

Oct 13, 2011 11:59 PM in response to rasjad

To the OP, you may want to look into creating a new library on your MacBook then merging it with the library on your iMac.

http://aperture.maccreate.com/2010/02/09/the-importance-of-libraries-aperture-3s -new-syncing/

EDIT The Aperture manual is also a good read, search for 'merge' and it should help.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/Aperture%203%20User%20Manu al%20(en).pdf

Oct 14, 2011 8:03 AM in response to rasjad

I'm pretty fanatical about back ups - I was able to restore both Aperture 3.1.3 and the library file. Since "repairing" the file - everything seems to be working.

I'll wait to upgrade to 3.2 when they go to 3.2.1 (since there seems to be some persistent probelms mentioned on this list).

Thanks all for the help.

Rasjad

Aperture driving me crazy!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.