Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleID log in to iPad after iOS5 upgrade - please help

Background: my AppleID is [username]. In April 09, I was having problems with having 2 IDs, [username] and [email address], and all my iTunes content being spread out. I called Apple, worked it out, and they told me that they deleted [email address] and had everything in my [username] account.

Last night: I upgrade my iPad, in anticipation of a trip today. I am now stuck at a gray "log in with your AppleID" screen. I do so, and it tells me that my AppleID password is incorrect. (I go use it on my iPhone and my MacBook just to check, and it is correct and works fine.) I change the password via iTunes and try again. Same response. I mess around some more and it's obvious that for some reason (new security standards in iOS5?) it won't take my AppleID since it's not in the form of an email address.

Log in to AppleID management: I can change the username, and the email associated. I cannot combine [username] and [email address], and there is no reason for me to believe that I will keep my iTunes content with whatever they do.

Called Apple Support: they consider this an iPad issue and refused to help unless I had a support agreement and paid a service fee. (Which I hesitate to do, since I feel like I have already paid for all this content, I HAVE AppleCare and support on my MacBook, and argued that AppleID was centered on iTunes which is on my MacBook, and my iPad problem was just an example.) She said "go online." I explained that their system did not permit me to make that change and she said "I can't help you."

Oh, Apple. Sometimes you are very hard to work with. I wish I hadn't done it. Now I can't even use my iPad this week on a tweetup trip.

Seems to me that my options are:

1. figure out how to downgrade the iOS and go back to the previous version (so glad I didn't try to upgrade my phone)

2. change the name on my [username] account to some other email address [since my regular email is already another account, cannot be deleted or combined]

Any suggestions? Ideas? Please help me... 😟

iPad 2

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 6:55 AM

10 replies

Oct 20, 2011 9:49 AM in response to adllewellyn

I cannot help because I think I'm in the same boat!

I have had the one AppleID for years. It is NOT based on an e-mail address. It is simply a single word. I have used this AppleID successfully on my Mac, Touch, and Ipad2. However, last night I downloaded the update for iTunes (the big one just recently issued). I didn't watch the update "happen" as it said it could take over an hour. When I returned to check on progress, I saw that the iPad was at a Restore screen. (Was that to be expected???) The Restore process had me respond to fairly benign questions (pick your wifi, allow/disallow locations), enter your appleid and password. All was going well (although I thought it odd that I had to answer all this/configure these settings) until after I entered my appleid and p/w. The next screen "Update AppleID" informed me that I needed to enter an AppleID that was in the format of an email address. This was confusing to me as I had a perfectly good (from my viewpoint) AppleId. So I thought maybe it wants my email address that I use with Apple (and that is associated with my ID). No, when I entered that email address, the response was that email was already associated with an AppleId and that I needed to enter another address. What??? I went to the site MyAppleId and reviewed my info there. I saw that there was an option to make your appleid and your primary email address the same, so I selected that option and clicked Submit and then Save Changes. But, nothing has changed. I am incredibly frustrated. I cannot access my iPad at all. I called Support but they said I would have to submit my question by mail. I've done that, but it's minimum 48 hour wait. So, I'm turning to the Community. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 20, 2011 10:56 AM in response to alisonfromredmond

So sorry you've had this experience. 😟

Good luck. My support email back from iTunes wasn't very helpful. I had to wipe, restore to factory settings and recreate my AppleID and resync. It worked for my iPad, haven't updated my phone yet. Although now I have to have a specific AppleID that is an email address not my own.

Apple really needs to clarify to people that iCloud will not work for those of us with single-word Apple IDs (even though they originally were mostly single-words) and then help their users modify them.

Oct 20, 2011 3:37 PM in response to alisonfromredmond

This is what happened to me:

I had 2 apple id's...one that was a "username" and another that was made when I signed up to mobile me. All my app store and itunes purchases were made on the username account. When we updated our phones to ios5, that apple id no longer worked. I couldnt reset the password or anything. It's as if it didn't exist anymore. The mobile me account worked as it was in the format of an email address so I used that for the time being.

I emailed apple though the itunes express store. They got back to me with the usual info, they will reset my password blah blah blah.I sent the info they wanted. The next night, I couldn't log into my email. Ironically enough they had reset my password and sent the new password to the email that the password had changed. Anyways, I eventually got the new passwords to both my apple id's (but the other one I thought was my boyfriend's. Upon looking at the email of that one, It wasn't quite the same as his email, it was an address that as far as we know doesn't exist (@man.com instead of @msn.com). Anyways, for ***** and giggles we tried to log into the app store with that other random apple id, and sure enough, it worked! All my purchases showed up and my store credit too! I changed the log in email on it to an address that actually works. I know when I was trying to change my password to my usename account, I found a spot on the manage apple id page where you could enter your email to find any apple id's associated with that address. Maybe try to find that and pay attention to the accounts it shows you...I must have just thought the second one was my boyfriend's account.

Try to find that site...or wait for apple to get back to you with reset passwords. Chances are they changed your username to an email addy without telling you. They will give it to you once you send the account info they ask for.

Oct 26, 2011 4:46 PM in response to alisonfromredmond

I too am in the single word username boat. The apps that were purchased under the old username simply won't update, either on the iPad or in iTunes. If you right click on an app in iTunes and select Get Info, you can see that they originated under the old account. My theory is that Apple expects us to re-purchase all the apps using the new email Apple ID, thus creating a nice revenue stream for them. Oh well, if enough of us holler maybe they'll get the message and come up with a fix.

AppleID log in to iPad after iOS5 upgrade - please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.