Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 5: Any way to disable the 'wooshing' sound when sending and receiving within iMessage?

Upon upgrading to iOS 5 and toying around with iMessage, I first noticed that I was getting a very obnoxious tone whenever I'd get a message. I disabled that by going into Settings > Sounds and setting "text tone" to 'None', but when I'm in the iMessage app, I still get a tiny little 'whoosh' sound on every incoming and outgoing message.

The only time I want my iPod to make a sound is on Calendar/Reminder alerts. I don't want it whooshing every time I send and receive a message, it's extremely annoying. I can't find any way to disable this, and apparently this isn't a new issue? I can't believe Apple wouldn't have some way to control this. For iPhone users, they can simply switch to "silent" or set it to Vibrate or whatever, but we don't have that option as iPod touch users. Is the only way to accomplish this via turning my alert volume off, and thereby losing the feature of audible reminders?

iPod touch

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 7:25 AM

12 replies

Oct 13, 2011 8:15 AM in response to Botrax

I'm not around wifi right now so I can't test this, but I assumed that only applied to mail, not messages. I've researched the issue, and apparently that didn't work to resolve this issue for 4.2.1, so I'm assuming it won't control that sound for 5.0, but I could be wrong. Also, would that apply to the incoming iMessage sounds (again, that only occurs when I am IN the app, not out of it)?

Oct 21, 2011 3:58 PM in response to Verticalabama

I have noticed the same problem, but I am trying to figure out why the "whoosh" sound for incoming/outgoing messages isn't the same as the default alert tone that I set for text tones. Reason being, if I get a message while in the Message app and the phone is in my pocket, I don't hear the "whoosh". However, if I am outside of the Message app, I get my default text tone (Chime) and can easily hear it when the phone is in my pocket.

Nov 1, 2011 11:49 PM in response to Verticalabama

I did not want that sound either What worked for me on my iPad and hopefully can translate to your iPod is that when I didn't want to disturb my wife's sleep while imessaging my sister I found that if I double click the home button and swipe left then touch the volume speaker to mute everything. When I was done I just unmuted. Patchy fix I know but sufficient enough for me. Hope that helps.

Nov 7, 2011 1:31 AM in response to Botrax

Turning off the text sound in Settings does not work to turn the sound off.

Further, if the sound is turned all the way down from the main screen, this change doesn't apply to the sounds made when in iMessage, which are apparently under the "sound effects" volume control.

This is really annoying! There should be a way to mute only iMessage and not turn the sound all the way down instead, which usually means missing alarms later.

Jan 6, 2014 4:12 AM in response to Verticalabama

The issue is not about whether the whooshing sound is an agreeable or diagreeable sound, plus there is nothing wrong with complaining if something is wrong and needs fixing (as some contributors here have suggested). How else do issues get resolved? I do not want to mute my entire Iphone 5 every time I send an instant message (like on GTalk). I have tried every single suggestion for removing the whoosh sound when I send an IMessage, and have failed miserably. I think it is incredible that I have to spend so long trying to configure my phone and check all blogs to see why I cannot disable a sound. My issue is not whether the sound is good or bad. I just want silence for messaging, but that does not mean that I want everything silent.

Jan 23, 2016 7:11 AM in response to Verticalabama

In case anyone comes across this post looking to disable the whooshing sound in messages on an iPhone 6 I think I found the answer. Might help in other Apple devices too!

Open Settings Icon

Go to Notifications Option

Go to Message

Turn the Message > Sounds to "None" (I could only get it to vibrate, not turn completely off, but it's better than the whoosh!)

Hope this helps someone!

Mar 4, 2016 7:10 PM in response to Verticalabama

How I "turn off" my iMessage inapp sounds/vibration

Open the music app (stock app or any other music app) and play a song

(Then you can pause the music or leave it playing)

Turn off (music) volume by sliding Volume all the way to the left in control center

(you should see a song name there as the music app is running)

Go to iMessage app, you should no longer hear any wooshing sound when sending/receiving measages

Go to Settings → Sounds

Turn off Vibrate on Silent

Turn on phone Silent mode and start chatting in iMessage

Turn on Vibrate on Silent when done if need be

Mar 8, 2016 1:41 AM in response to leah.abel

How I "turn off" my iMessage inapp sounds/vibration

Open the music app (stock app or any other music app) and play a song

(Then you can pause the music or leave it playing)

Turn off (music) volume by sliding Volume all the way to the left in control center

(you should see a song name there as the music app is running)

Go to iMessage app, you should no longer hear any wooshing sound when sending/receiving measages

Go to Settings → Sounds

Turn off Vibrate on Silent

Turn on phone Silent mode and start chatting in iMessage

Turn on Vibrate on Silent when done if need be

EDIT:

This is iOS 9.2.1 btw :/

Not sure if it's a bug (for #1), cause I just realized my notification sounds go wrong on lockscreen whenever I leave a song paused, the volume of the notification sound turns to be the music volume instead of the ringer/alert volume.

iOS 5: Any way to disable the 'wooshing' sound when sending and receiving within iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.