Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't sync Notes to iCloud.

Can anyone help with this?

On my iPad, I can't sync Notes to my iPhone using iCloud. There isn't 'iCloud' account visible under 'Default Account' in the Notes settings even though it is turned on in the 'iCloud' settings.

User uploaded file

All I see is 'On My iPad' for accounts under 'Default Account'.

User uploaded file

On my iPhone there is a option in the Notes setting to change the default account to 'iCloud' so I assume those Notes are syncing to the cloud.

User uploaded file

Everything else is syncing, photos, calendar, contracts, bookmarks, etc. Just Notes is messed up.

iPad 2, iOS 5, iCloud

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 9:30 AM

I had the same issue with a twist. My iPad was fine but my iPhone was messed up. Didn't show the iCloud as an account, only On my iPhone. What I did was in the Settings -> iCloud on my iPhone I deleted the iCloud account. Turned off the phone and rebooted it. Went back into settings -> iCloud and re-signed into iCloud and made sure I merged all with iCloud. After that the iCloud account showed up on my notes settings and I was able to start syncing. This may help you out

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2011 9:30 AM in response to r_chr

I had the same issue with a twist. My iPad was fine but my iPhone was messed up. Didn't show the iCloud as an account, only On my iPhone. What I did was in the Settings -> iCloud on my iPhone I deleted the iCloud account. Turned off the phone and rebooted it. Went back into settings -> iCloud and re-signed into iCloud and made sure I merged all with iCloud. After that the iCloud account showed up on my notes settings and I was able to start syncing. This may help you out

Oct 13, 2011 10:08 AM in response to jjbender

That did the trick. Thank you!

Here's what I did to fix it.

1. Delete iCloud account in iCloud settings

2. Reboot iPad

3. Go back to iCloud settings and sign in with Apple ID

4. Turn off 'Notes' in iCloud settings

5. Turn on 'Notes' in iCloud settings

6. Switch to 'iCloud' as default account in Notes settings.

Oct 18, 2011 8:23 AM in response to r_chr

I'm having a very similar, but not identical issue. My iPhone syncs Notes fine to iCloud. There is no Default Account setting on my iPhone, period, yet it still works. There is an "Accounts" button in the Notes application and I can log into icloud.com and see my Notes.

My iPad refuses to sync anything. Unlike yourself, I can see the "iCloud" account in Settings and have the Default Account set to "iCloud". However, when I go to the Notes app there is not "Accounts" button or any way that I can find to create a note in the iCloud account. I've tried your resolution steps above and it didn't change anything.

Very frustrating that they can't get this right out of the gate.

iPhone Note Settings screen

User uploaded file

iPhone Notes application screen with "Accounts" button

User uploaded file

iPad Notes settings screen

User uploaded file

iPad Notes application with no Accounts button

User uploaded file

Nov 7, 2011 6:39 AM in response to bodya

I'm pretty sure I chose delete. I can't remember for certain, though. I also had Time Machine backups of everything, in case…

I believe you're safe deleting the local copies once the information is on the cloud servers. Go to iCloud.com and look at all your stuff first.

When you're done with all the setting up, I think you want all your computers, iPads, etc pointing to the cloud information only. I've unchecked all the local copies, birthday calendars, etc,

Cloud only…

-Jeff

I can't sync Notes to iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.