Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leopard 10.5.8, ITunes 10.5 and iOS 5

Hi,

I have been into the apple store today but didn't get very far...

I have an iBook g4 with leopard 10.5.8 installed, iTunes has been upgraded to 10.5 (the newest one from yesterday) without any problems. When I connect either my iPhone 3GS or my iPad 2 it shows that iOS 5 is available and downloads it. When I try to install it gives me a "not eligible for update" error. When I spoke to two different employees at the apple store they both said that as iTunes 10.5 is compatible with leopard 10.5.8 that installing iOS 5 shouldn't be a problem. I have tried and tried again, still no joy. Any ideas? Thanks for the help

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhone 3GS and iPad 2

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 8:33 AM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2011 10:20 AM in response to shnicky83

The requirements seem confusing...

System Requirements

• Apple ID (required for some features)
  • Internet access6
  • Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
    • Mac: OS X v10.5.8 or later
    • PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
    • iTunes 10.5 or later (free download fromwww.itunes.com/download)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

iCloud requirements...

System requirements

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch

iOS 5

Mac

• OS X Lion 10.7.2
  • iTunes 10.5
  • iPhoto’11 (version 9.2) or Aperture 3.2 (for Photo Stream)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4759

Oct 13, 2011 10:52 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your reply. I bought my ipad2 so I didn't have to buy a new laptop at the moment. My only alternative is to update my ipad2 and iPhone on my friends iMac but my concern is that it won't then sync back to my iBook, I'm not concerned about wireless syncing at present but to have a two week only iPad already out of date seems a little unfair. The guys at the apple store reckon it should still sync back to my iBook but looking on the net from other users I'm a little concerned. Is anyone else having similar issues?

Oct 15, 2011 6:17 AM in response to shnicky83

I upated iTunes to 10.5 & then upgraded to iOS 5 on my iPad2. When it was supposedly done, I got an error message that I need to Restore the iPad. Clicked on Restore & after a while got repeated error messages (errors 1611 & 2006). Tried numerous times. Looked at Apple's suggestions & tried one - to Restart my Mac. This time it worked & everything works. Have also interfaced to iCloud.

So try Restarting your Mac. If that doesn't work, reinstall iTunes 10.5.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Leopard 10.5.8, ITunes 10.5 and iOS 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.